possible divorce

Options
consumers_revenge
consumers_revenge Posts: 3,545 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 30 December 2018 at 11:56PM in Marriage, relationships & families
Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of my best friend. I have said to him to see if he has access to any legal assistance via either his work or via a home insurance policy ( I have both )

Hes been married about 12 years but the relationship is going to an all time low. Basically shes gone off to her parents for Christmas now with a days notice with the kids and left him on his todd amongst other things when they were all supposed to be having Christmas dinner at home. Hes not a bad bloke and is a hardworking family man.

That aside, as I said I told him to start thinking about advice and options as I suspect they will split if theres any chance at some point. Don't think he wants to but is also very unhappy and shes quite selfish.

Anyway. He bought the house in 2003 with a 105k deposit and a mortgage for the rest before they got together. They have 2 youngish kids and she hasn't worked for the last 10 years and is now sounding like she refuses to ( part time or evening or weekends ) even though they are at school.

Hes been paying the mortgage and all other bills during this time.

What may be his likely rights? Would she be entitled to half even though its not in her name and bought before hand? Would she by default get the kids? etc?

Hes worried about losing everything financially and his kids welfare but also doesn't want to be miserable until they are 18.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most solicitors will give a free half-hour appointment: see if you can find one for him so that he can at least have an overview of what is likely to happen.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    Sounds like he has lot to lose, while she has very little.

Two sides to every story of course.

Legal advice is the only way to go.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    As your friend it's likely what you are being told is slightly skewed. He might be a nice guy but a terrible husband, we don't know what happens behind closed doors.
    I'd suggest being there as a friend but don't get involved in his relationship. He needs to get legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure