Hire Purchase -ADVICE REQUIRED

Options

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    Options
    I’d like the option of being able to reduce my payments again for a few months. These are exceptional circumstances, however, if they had to do that for me they’d have to do it for everyone, and the unscrupulous loafers of society would take advantage of this and abuse it.

But im wondering where I stand legally.

You stand in a situation where you either hand the car back, or continue making payments.

If you cannot continue making payments, then you should consider handing the car back.

The finance company doesn't have to agree to an extension, it seems as if they are no longer doing so.

That is all your rights. You cannot keep the car without paying for it as agreed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In fairness I own more of the car than they do? That has to stand for something? No?
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In fairness I own more of the car than they do? That has to stand for something? No?
    Er, no you don't. That's not how HP works.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    The finance company are advising I hand it back and I’ll still be liable for the remaining debt. Not that I hand it back and case closed.
    The car has a book price of about £1800 now, so no joy there.

Have you defaulted on the agreement (has a default issue been issued?).

You *may* be able to voluntary terminate if that is the case, where if you have paid > 50% then you owe nothing further.

Speak to the finance company about your voluntary termination rights and check your finance agreement.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Speak to the finance company about your voluntary termination rights and check your finance agreement.
    It sounds like she already has, but wants what's behind Magic Door Number 3.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    Gaz83 wrote: »
    It sounds like she already has, but wants what's behind Magic Door Number 3.

Having worked for a car finance company in the past, agents are not always (read: never) forthcoming with VT rights, unless the customer asks for it!

Agents will generally favour regular termination where you are liable for the full balance unless you specifically ask for VT.
  • Dettol
    Dettol Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I’d like the option of being able to reduce my payments again for a few months. These are exceptional circumstances, however, if they had to do that for me they’d have to do it for everyone, and the unscrupulous loafers of society would take advantage of this and abuse it.

But im wondering where I stand legally.

No sorry your situation is not exceptional..millions of people have at some point less money than they need to cover there debts.

You have already used the "exceptional circumstances card" already when you had a previous breathing space.

Its pretty simple..either find work..give the car back or have it repossessed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you stevenhp, is not heard of this. I’ll research now, the finance company have not been forthcoming with this information so this kind of information is very helpful. Thank you
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So do you want them to get the court order to reposess adding more costs to you?
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It’s exceptional to me! And my payment history.
    AGAIN- you have no idea what people are going through- skip your judgement and just give useful advice.

I was recommended to use this board for advice and you’re all a bunch of judgemental !!!!!!.

Judgemental !!!!!! who were giving you free advice.

It never ceases to surprise me just how quickly new posters who get told the truth rather than what they want to hear resort to the insults and insinuations about whether people work for banks/credit cards/insurers or whatever sort of organisation the poster has broken their side of the agreement with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure