People's Energy - new tariff and price increase?

martyp
martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 December 2018 at 10:32AM in Energy
Hi all,

I just switched to People's Energy only this week and when I do a price comparison on MSE energy club it has replaced The People's Tariff August 2018 with Q1 2019 which seems to be about £60 more a year and there are no other tariffs to select?
There seemed to be some reassurance on here that there were no price rises planned with PE in the next month or so and I haven't received any communications about this at all?
Does anyone know anything more on this?

I've just done an online quote and it offers the December 2018 tariff at the rates I was offered so unsure if this is something that MSE have been informed about early?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    martyp wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just switched to People's Energy only this week and when I do a price comparison on MSE energy club it has replaced The People's Tariff August 2018 with Q1 2019 which seems to be about £60 more a year and there are no other tariffs to select?
    There seemed to be some reassurance on here that there were no price rises planned with PE in the next month or so and I haven't received any communications about this at all?
    Does anyone know anything more on this?

Tariffs come and go. CS staff and referral sites are not usually apprised in advance of any future changes. Ignore what is stated on MSE CEC and check the tariff detail in the Welcome Letter you should have received from Together Energy. If you are unhappy with the tariff terms, then write and cancel the switch.
  • martyp
    Thanks Hengus, the welcome letter shows the tariff I was expecting to pay. It is variable and they do say they will give 30 days notice of price changes and to give 30 days notice if leaving. Curious about that last part too as if you select to switch to another supplier then doesn't that normally take 21 days ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 December 2018 at 12:18PM
    martyp wrote: »
    Thanks Hengus, the welcome letter shows the tariff I was expecting to pay. It is variable and they do say they will give 30 days notice of price changes and to give 30 days notice if leaving. Curious about that last part too as if you select to switch to another supplier then doesn't that normally take 21 days ?

Edit: The website terms and conditions actually state 2 days notice if moving out of the property and 30 days notice of a tariff change.
  • martyp
    I'm still puzzled by this as other Energy comparison websites are only referring to the August and December People's Tariffs (both the same rate it seems) and those other websites are even using Outfox the Market's new rates. So could it be an error on the MSE club? E.g. tariff applied for the wrong provider or news yet to hit People's Energy customers. It means on here there are lots of cheaper providers but other comparison sites indicate People's Energy is the 2nd cheapest to Utility Point (which does the two seasonal payment set up that OTFM tried to do).
  • martyp
    Easiest way of finding out what's going on - I called and spoke to People's Energy who confirmed as follows:

1) People's Tariff Q1 2019 is a new tariff for new customers
    2) The preceding tariffs, e.g. August and December 2018 continue as normal
    3) There are no known price increases on the August and December tariffs

So basically, it's an error with MSE Cheap Energy Club - the August and December tariffs remain unchanged so should be options to select when making a comparison. As it stands you can only select this new Q1 2019 tariff for comparisons which is giving incorrect results and makes a number of tariffs look incorrectly cheaper than my current tariff

I hope that helps other People's Energy customers especially if doing a comparison on here - the other comparison sites I checked seem to be correct...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure