We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Small debt to some but even smaller income.

Options
2»

Comments

• Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My doctor knows about the depression and binge eating but I haven't told them about the spending. I guess I was embarrassed about it and didn't want to admit what a mess I've got myself into.
    The doctors only seem to want to give me pills and no other help. Despite suicide attempts and ending up sectioned in a mental health hospital, I still don't get any help. The mental health hospital didn't even contact my doctor about it. My doctors had to chase them up about it, almost a year later.

The benefits I get is ESA at £200 every 2 weeks.
    I've got an assessment for PIP in just over a week.

I get housing benefit which luckily goes straight to my housemates(who's house it is), and then I have to pay an extra £40 to them every two weeks, so an extra £80 a month in total.

There's a little room next to my room that has a microwave, mini fridge, and freezer which I have a shelf of. I also have a slow cooker in that room.
    So really there's no excuse for me to not eat properly.

I did make some meals in the slow cooker and froze them, and some are still sat in the freezer.

When I'm feeling low it just seems easier to eat crisps and chocolate though.
    But I need to try and stop buying them things because firstly I can't afford it and secondly it's not good for my health!

Thank you for all the help so far and being so welcoming and friendly.
    I'm hoping posting here will be the help I need to finally get out of debt.

The £87 is before the £40 rent I need to get out for my housemates. But apart from that I shouldn't need any more money. I have food in the freezer and a cupboard full of tinned stuff. My dog has enough food and treats as well.

thank you for opening up on here - do go to the docs and explain EVERYTHING you really do need the help to stop the cycle of depression eating to make you happy that didnt work so you shop and its mostly rubbish (saying that as mine was)

do you have anything you can sell clothes etc I have more luck on FB that I do on eb+y

I am glad you have enough for the week

also get your self a written budget for food etc - and then ONLY take out the money you NEED to spend eg 20 for food you cant spend more as your card and rest of your cash will be at home - hopefully help I find if I have a purse with shopping money in it and my months spending allowance and NOT card and the rest of the money left at home I dont spend so much - its harder to pay in money that it is to swipe a card - you think about it more

good luck and keep us informed so we can at least support even if we can come up with many ideas to help you xx
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • BabyStepper
    Options
    How are things going for you this week? Keep posting, it really helps.
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • AnxiousHermit
    Options
    Hello again everyone.
    I got PiP and got it backdated so I managed to clear my overdraft and was happily debt free for a while.
    Now I'm in almost double the debt I was in before. ��

The PiP amount I get is an extra £200 a month, so I shouldn't really be having these problems.

I like to spend money on things I don't need to cheer myself up though and buy way too much junk food. ��
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi AnxiousHermit

What you describe isn't uncommon. I'm sure after you spend money, you feel temporarily better, you've scratched that itch, that need to buy something to cheer you up, to make you feel better. The reward centre in your brain lights up and you feel happy. Or at least happier. Briefly.

But I'm sure not long after that you begin to feel guilt. Your logical brain knows you're in debt and that you're spending money that isn't yours. That a future you will have to pay back that spend. That as a result, you will have less money in the future. How could you have let this happen, again, you think, and you end up thinking worse of yourself, feeling sad, I'm sure. It's a typical cycle.

It's easy for me to sit here and say these things, but you're not alone with what you're doing or why you're doing it, and it will get better, i'm sure.

You need to reframe things; spending money is not cheering you up, it is not making you happier.

Spending money is making you unhappy.

If you haven't already by now, I would discuss this with your GP. I would look into counselling/IAPT/therapy and be open with them. If your debt has doubled in ten months, it's important that you get the help you need and get help as soon as you can.

Consider posting a statement of affairs. There may be savings people can help with. Ensure you track every spend, keep every receipt. It's a start, but if the problem is overspending, caused by or linked to your psychological wellbeing, you need to talk to someone about this.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    edited 23 October 2019 at 2:48PM
    Options
    Good news on the PIP.

Anything we can do to help on the debt front?
    Did you increase your OD? Do you have a CC?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport