PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How have you saved money in 2018?

Options
VfM4meplse
VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 29 December 2018 at 6:50PM in Old style MoneySaving
Please share so we can use each other's tips for a more resource-efficient 2019! :beer:

Most of my spending is by credit card, so its been very useful to review this and think about my monthly expenditure and what can be cut back on.

My main savings are from walking rather than driving, and resisting filling up my tank more than once a month. (This hasn't always worked, but I am more aware of my usage now). Having moved out of London, I also go out socially a lot less now but have friends over instead. My coffee habit has dropped from 3-4 times a week to perhaps 7-8 purchases in total this year, but I have really enjoyed them!

I've also bought little and often, even if its just a handwash / bottle of ketchup. Whilst it may not seem a good use of time, it has meant that I have walked a lot and 10,000 steps a day has been achievable without much extra effort on most days. The happy side effect is that I feel reasonably fit as a result!

Some pairs of shoes are so comfortable they have been worn to death but still not thrown out - they are handy to keep in the car as driving shoes, I change back into professional shoes after my journey (although admittedly have forgotten once or twice :D). I have bought no new additional pairs for myself as I have plenty to get through yet.

I have also made a note of the monthly cut-off date for my main credit card and tried to avoid any purchases that can wait until the next month. This waiting strategy has actually taken the shine off some of the things on the list so I didn't buy them in the end, whilst making others (such as food treats) more desirable when I do buy them. As a frugal experiment, I also consider that last week of the month to be "cereal week". I think I spend more overall on food than I once did, but a lot less on alcohol.

Personal treats are from the chazzer or Poundland. I must have bought over 100 books this year courtesy of the chaz, but would be surprised if I spent anywhere near £100 on them. I've also bought quite a few bits of make-up (mostly lipsticks and confectionery from The Land Of The Pound) as cheap pick-me-ups. Aside from 2 bras from Asda at £4 each, I haven't bought any BN clothes, they've all been good quality wants (not needs) again from the chazzer. I still gift a lot to those that enjoy my finds - family mainly.

I've also been lucky enough to source some household items I needed from Freecycle and Gumtree. Patience and persistence has paid off here :).

It does seem like there is a big bill to be paid every other month - whether its insurance, subscriptions, TV license etc - but I have trimmed these where possible. Where I have really wasted money is on a monthly Virgin Media package but don't use the phone and TV elements :o. Must try harder next year!
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 December 2018 at 7:35PM
    Options
    Briefly I've continued to play the 'bank switch' game!
    This year it has been the move to Barclays which nets £12 pm (oh, I know- small fry!) and the chaos at TSB resulted in £150.
    Delay in calls being answered at HSBC gave me £25 or £30- and I did not complain, they told me the service wasn't good enough-so we'll credit your account!!

I continue to check insurances, but don't always switch.
    Use Tesco cc points for ferry crossings.
    I'm a supermarket womble- and see I have netted £75 from that and road kill!!

I do sometimes use the bus but love driving so that is a big spend.
    I cruise too, an even bigger spend!!
    But equally I love trawling charity shops, carboots and markets. Aldi has been a brilliant addition to our town.

I don't have a television! so computer & 'phone are possibly dearest monthly costs, no, council tax and there's nowt I can do about that one!!
    Having been brought up to be careful with money- I still am but I am not Scrooge!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    This year was when I really figured out the meaning of "pay yourself first". I set up DD's & SO's to investments & savings accounts so the money is gone before I can spend it.

Switch energy providers - still more expensive than my old deal by unit price, but they're all going up :(

I'll be fit Hong TalkTalk for Plusnet next month.

Stopped going abroad for holidays & really enjoyed a summer of camping in the UK! That was helped by the 2 month heatwave... Still gonna do the same in 2019. Duly noted on the post from Katiehound that Tesco CC points can be used for ferry crossings. I'll look I to that, to go camping further afield.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Biggest single change this year? Not shopping as often.

I realised that every time I went to get a pint of milk I was spending a small but appreciable amount, often on YS stuff but things that I didn't really need. Once a month I do a 'dry goods' shop at one of the cheaper SMs, for tinned stuff, rice, frozen veg etc, on a day when I'm driving near one of them anyway. Fruit, veg and perishable food is bought as and when needed but as infrequently as possible, and I try not to add any 'bargains' to the basket unless they're things I am going to use in the next few days.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I moved from having lodgers to being a Theatre guest host which works well from me. The extra income has been earmarked for home improvements.

I am reviewing my direct debits etc and changed my gas/electricity to Bulb from Breeze.

Also gained unexpected income from ` complaints` mainly from Nationwide when there was a problem. I always try to even the balance by giving praise when things go unexpectedly right.

I scour the charity shops regularly and have found lots of treasure!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tesco CC points can be used for ferry crossings. I'll look I to that, to go camping further afield.
    Tesco points are worth x 3 for ferry crossings with Stena (to Ireland at least! sorry, don't know about other crossings...)
    I always save the vouchers rather than spend in store at face value.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've cut back on everything non-essential. I meal plan every week using the contents of my full freezers and cupboards and only buy essentials like bread and milk. We have a small takeaway once a month as a treat

I've used cashback where I can, through topcashback, quidco and my bank does cashback too.

Last year I bought loads of reduced toiletry gift sets after Christmas and they lasted me all year so I'm actually planning that for this year :)

If Sainsburys have got stuff massively reduced because they're not stocking it anymore, I'll buy as much as I can carry to/from work to home - I bought Fairy liquid for 20p each that has so far lasted me for about 5 months, with at least 5 months worth left :cool:

We have two allotments so save a small fortune growing our own veg and a lot of fruit.

For the year ahead, I won't have to spend so much on bus fare for work as I've finally got a parking permit which I can use for one week out of every three so what I save there will be put away

I take my own lunch to work - this saves me probably about £4 a day five days a week

I'm sure I'll find lots more ways to save money in the next year or so while I save for my house deposit :beer:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've cut back on everything non-essential.
    My only concern with this is that depriving yourself can feel very Spartan. Sometimes a small treat can be very uplifting - hence my Poundland strategy - for you it's the monthly takeaway!
    I'm sure I'll find lots more ways to save money in the next year or so while I save for my house deposit :beer:
    Now this is an excellent incentive to save. You won't regret it :T:T:T
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    My only concern with this is that depriving yourself can feel very Spartan. Sometimes a small treat can be very uplifting - hence my Poundland strategy - for you it's the monthly takeaway!
    Now this is an excellent incentive to save. You won't regret it :T:T:T

Thankfully I don't have a poundland type shop easily accessible to me on my bus route so if I do go to one, I've had to drive.

I try and factor in little daily treats as part of my weekly shop and buy a multipack of lidl chocolate bars or crisps so I don't feel like I'm missing out completely.

i did find it difficult at first. I felt like I was depriving myself but the more I got into it, the less deprived I felt :) if I really, really want something then I use the MSE mantra of "do I NEED it or just WANT it" and this seems to work for me most of the time.

I don't earn a huge salary so saving for me is slower than for others but I've still managed to save 3K since April so I must be doing something right :D As you say, it's the best incentive :cool:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Not saving money as such but...I've been eBaying stuff that's been sat in my wardrobes and drawers that I know I'll never wear.

Made £140 since my first listing at the beginning of this month.

I have lots of other stuff to photograph and list.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Made an unexpected couple of hundred pounds, I made some swirly stuffed baby balls from leftover /spare wool for my new little baby great granddaughter which so delighted my granddaughter Katie she put them on her social mums media page .
    We were on holiday at the time on the Isle of Wight and Katie came down stairs and said 'Granny any chance you could knit a few more' .

I said yes no probs as the baby loved playing with the brightly coloured wooly balls.

'Not for Erin' she replied 'I have orders for lots '.
    .....er yes how many would you like ?

'Could you do around a hundred perhaps?' !!! the power of the internet meant that within ten minutes I was in production.

6 knitted stuffed swirly patterned balls at £10.00 a pop and £2.00 for postage has given me enough to pay towards. a five day holiday with my DDs ma-in-law at the seaside next spring :):):) I ended up doing around 288 balls and earning £200

I was seeing squiggly lines by the end of it but I shall enjoy my 'free' holiday next year

Cutting back to buying only essential stuff helps no end and trying to use up my existing store cupboard has meant a great deal of savings from my food budget

I always have a little bit of 'Happy Cash Stashed' in the back of my purse just for small treats, I meal plan and cook from scratch everything that I can as to me I can make twice as much for half the price of ready meals plus I know what's gone into them

I use my loyalty cards, of which I have umpteen, ( I am loyal to my purse not anything else :)) and any vouchers that I have I use up if I can

I use the bus with my bus pass if possible and try not to use my car too much and I do walk every day as well as much as I can.

I have a zero waste on food policy, plus I will reuse, recycle and make do by adapting stuff as far as possible.

I have come home for this morning from my DDs with lots of leftover odds and ends, and having bought around a tenners worth of fresh fruit and veg and essential stuff only I have no need to shop for at least hopefully around 10-12 days now

Very happy with my savings from 2018,and roll on 2019 :):):)

JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport