PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steps towards zero waste - 2019

Options

Comments

• Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    RosyRed wrote: »
    Thanks for this post- Ive just looked too and I also have a collection point fairly near,they dont do everything but its a start, I can begin with crisp and biscuit wrappers and old toothbrushes :j

Its so nice to see this taking off isn't it? Hopefully more and more people will get used to the idea of recycling more stuff like this.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• RicardaRacoon
    Options
    evening everyone

re clothes / kitchen roll: you could roll the cloths around a kitchen roll holder, easy to grab from there and OH might be fine with it too.
    I only use kitchen roll to clean up really messy things, which is mostly when one of the cats has been sick.... FOr everything else I just use clothes.

bargainhunter maybe you could start with buying a few items at the zero waste store and then see from there how your spendings change. Maybe pick three or four that you can't get plastic free anywhere else and keep buying the others at A$da. I buy all my dry goods at the zero waste store, besides cocoa powder (they don't sell that), flour and sugar. Flour and sugar come in paper bags and the zero waste store doesn't sell them lose but in 10kg bags which is unpractical since I'm going to the shop by public transport.
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • dollypeeps
    Options
    Gosh it’s only since I started this did I realise how much single use plastics there is.

I thought I was soo good trying to stop using cling film!

Dishwasher tabs are wrapped individually,
    Nuts from Lidl are in these plastic/foil type packets which I don’t think you can recycle. The milk has a ‘foil’circle thing under the lid.
    It’s endless
    Grocery spends £193.44/ £70 per week or £303 per month
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    dollypeeps wrote: »
    Gosh it’s only since I started this did I realise how much single use plastics there is.

I thought I was soo good trying to stop using cling film!

Dishwasher tabs are wrapped individually,
    Nuts from Lidl are in these plastic/foil type packets which I don’t think you can recycle. The milk has a ‘foil’circle thing under the lid.
    It’s endless
    :(` I know, once the scales have fallen from your eyes, you see it everywhere, don't you?

But, I would say, don't give up just because you can't do everything or get everything 'right'. That way lies disatisfaction and even despair. Take baby-steps and keep your eyes open for ways to reduce waste whenever possible, support businesses who facilitate low waste and zero waste practices and publicly name-and-shame-and-shun those who won't.

We can make the world a little better every day, like the old saying has it; If everyone swept their own doorstep, the whole world would be clean.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That Terracycle thing is brilliant, had a quick look at the website but it's going to take some time to absorb it all.

Actually managed to remember my reusable cup for my train journey today - has the added bonus of keeping your drink hot for longer :T

i confess I'm a bit of a kitchen roll fiend, though I do compost it and buy recycled paper. I will try to do better.

My DD - who, I may have said, works for Lush is collecting all the non-recyclable caps from things like milk and juice cartons as you can take these into any lush and they will recycle them. if you buy lush products in the black pots - 5 returned pots will get you a free face mask (rrp about £5) - they will accept all their pots back. Although, as is well known, they sell a lot of solid bar things. I got a solid shower 'gel' for christmas and started using it today and it seems fine.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • GreyQueen
    edited 24 January 2019 at 6:05PM
    Options
    :) Thanks for the tip about the bottle tops etc, I shall start saving them, we have a branch of that store here.

Going off to check out this terracycle thingummy, now. I may be gone for some time.

ETA; Oooh, just found out where some things can be taken locally and the beneficiary is a local animal rescue. Going to be working on that, whee!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • dollypeeps
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :(` I know, once the scales have fallen from your eyes, you see it everywhere, don't you?

But, I would say, don't give up just because you can't do everything or get everything 'right'. That way lies disatisfaction and even despair. Take baby-steps and keep your eyes open for ways to reduce waste whenever possible, support businesses who facilitate low waste and zero waste practices and publicly name-and-shame-and-shun those who won't.

We can make the world a little better every day, like the old saying has it; If everyone swept their own doorstep, the whole world would be clean.

Thank you GreyQueen...thank you so much.

Exactly this and yes baby steps is the way to go....it's so easy to get overwhelmed and throw the towel in.

I really like that old saying and will pinch it if I may.
  • dollypeeps
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    That Terracycle thing is brilliant, had a quick look at the website but it's going to take some time to absorb it all

I've had a look too and like you need to take some time ...although one thing I learned from there was that the plastic packaging around things like kitchen rolls can be recycled at supermarkets where they take plastic bags ,,,,,so I need to set up something for that.

i confess I'm a bit of a kitchen roll fiend, though I do compost it and buy recycled paper. I will try to do better.

My DD - who, I may have said, works for Lush is collecting all the non-recyclable caps from things like milk and juice cartons as you can take these into any lush and they will recycle them. if you buy lush products in the black pots - 5 returned pots will get you a free face mask (rrp about £5) - they will accept all their pots back. Although, as is well known, they sell a lot of solid bar things. I got a solid shower 'gel' for christmas and started using it today and it seems fine.

I'm going to have a look at this too and any maybe we can use Lush to recycle stuff
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :p Pinch away, it isn't something I coined. I first heard it years ago and it's one of those sayings that is just right, y'know?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • bargainhunterss
    Options
    evening everyone
    bargainhunter maybe you could start with buying a few items at the zero waste store and then see from there how your spendings change. Maybe pick three or four that you can't get plastic free anywhere else and keep buying the others at A$da. I buy all my dry goods at the zero waste store, besides cocoa powder (they don't sell that), flour and sugar. Flour and sugar come in paper bags and the zero waste store doesn't sell them lose but in 10kg bags which is unpractical since I'm going to the shop by public transport.

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of going and seeing how things like rice/pasta stack up and go from there
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business