CIFAS marker put on by mum, help

Options
Hello, this isn’t me but my boyfriend. His mother has taken out a catalogue in his name without his knowledge (she has a poor credit score and has done this previously with virgin media but he caught her and cancelled it) and has keft sn open debt, he hasn’t been able to get a job for 2 years and couldn’t find out why until he filed a DSAR for CIFAS which uncovered a marker for first party fraud. The debt is with Lowell and we have spoken to them to dispute it to remove the marker but they are claiming him liable as his name, d.o.b and address match (even though a mum clearly knows these) we said the email/phone number and bank account they have (although they won’t disclose details) are all wrong and not his but his mothers and she has actually admitted to doing this to him so they filed a fraud investigation but are still holding him liable for fraud even though he’s the victim of identity theft and the culprit has openly admitted she done it. He doesn’t want to be unemployable for the next 5-6 years for something he didn’t do and we’re lost on how to resolve this now if someone could please give us ideas on what we can do to dispute this as she knows what’s she’s done and is owning up because we caught her but we’re still stuck at this impasse. We’ve spoken to police about a crime report but they said they can’t do anything for us either

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello, this isn’t me but my boyfriend. His mother has taken out a catalogue in his name without his knowledge (she has a poor credit score and has done this previously with virgin media but he caught her and cancelled it) and has keft sn open debt, he hasn’t been able to get a job for 2 years and couldn’t find out why until he filed a DSAR for CIFAS which uncovered a marker for first party fraud. The debt is with Lowell and we have spoken to them to dispute it to remove the marker but they are claiming him liable as his name, d.o.b and address match (even though a mum clearly knows these) we said the email/phone number and bank account they have (although they won’t disclose details) are all wrong and not his but his mothers and she has actually admitted to doing this to him so they filed a fraud investigation but are still holding him liable for fraud even though he’s the victim of identity theft and the culprit has openly admitted she done it. He doesn’t want to be unemployable for the next 5-6 years for something he didn’t do and we’re lost on how to resolve this now if someone could please give us ideas on what we can do to dispute this as she knows what’s she’s done and is owning up because we caught her but we’re still stuck at this impasse. We’ve spoken to police about a crime report but they said they can’t do anything for us either

Why would this make him unemployed? Most jobs don't do a credit check!

He needs to report this to the police.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your friend needs to speak to the police and to report the mother immediately. Action Fraud is where he needs to begin. https://www.actionfraud.police.uk

Once Lowell are in receipt of a crime reference number they may be a bit more aimiable.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Why would this make him unemployed? Most jobs don't do a credit check!

I thought the same unless the bf has a skillset which is only useful in 1 area of work and having a Cifas against you goes against you.

OP follow the advice posted from boo star,
  • dealer_wins
    Options
    Also on your CV use more full stops and paragraphs, that will help get the job. Good luck!
  • FestiveJoy
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    boo_star wrote: »
    Your friend needs to speak to the police ...
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    OP follow the advice posted from boo star,

You all appear to have missed this from the OP ;)
    ...We’ve spoken to police about a crime report but they said they can’t do anything for us either

OP, you probably won't get a crime report at this stage, but the police should help you, or rather your b/f who would need to make this report, and provide him with an incident number.
    If they won't do that, he should raise a complaint against the police.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    FestiveJoy wrote: »
    You all appear to have missed this from the OP ;)

OP, you probably won't get a crime report at this stage, but the police should help you, or rather your b/f who would need to make this report, and provide him with an incident number.
    If they won't do that, he should raise a complaint against the police.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign:

It’s action fraud that deals with these matters.

Normal plod won’t be interested.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A CIFAS marker would only stop you getting a job in finance or where you're handling money. In the vast majority of jobs it would have no impact so to claim it is stopping him from getting any job is just plain wrong.

The fact his mother admitted to him is neither here nor there, it needs to be reported to the police and a crime number assigned and then you'd stand a chance of getting it removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure