Forum Home» Energy

Npower - 2 years of hell - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Npower - 2 years of hell

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
51 replies 3K views

Replies

• brianposterbrianposter Forumite
    605 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Npowers account of events does not seem to be consistent with your account, although at first sight the discrepancy appears to be in your favour. You describe steadily rising bills, they say that there was a constant error.
    Perhaps you would be prepared to comment on this point.

In principle, assuming that your total payments for 2017/8 are over 1500 pounds, it looks as if you are already in a position to tell nPower that you are going to court to recover the amount overpaid.
    It would however be a good idea to wait for the result of this thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5938886
  • edited 30 December 2018 at 10:41AM
    CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2018 at 10:41AM
    I can't understand the calculations.

In post#6 you have given the tariff cost as 14.79p day and 7.55p off-peak. The daily standing charge(DSC) has not been given but is £117pa in my region. In the Npower response below they state the have removed 5311day and 3437night units from your account. At 14.79p/7.55p this comes to £1,045. Yet they have only reduced your debit balance by £774.82(£1926.72 to £1151.90)

Further to my previous email, I would now like to provide you with an update around the result of your recent Meter Accuracy Test.
    Our analysis shows that your previous meter has recorded high usage since it was installed on 28.02.2017 therefore, your account will be amended for the full period the meter was installed.

Start Date: 28.02.2017
    Start Read Day: 24353
    Start Read Night: 4275

Meter Removed: 29.10.2018
    Removed Read Day: 38692
    Removed Read Night: 13555

Based on the meter recording 58.82% Fast the removal readings have been amended to:

Amended Read Day:33381 – Removing 5311 Day Units
    Amended Read Night: 10118 – Removing 3437 Night units

The billing on your account has been reversed and the incorrect final meter readings have now been removed. The removal readings have now been amended as outlined above and we have billed the account to the installation readings from your new meter.
    The balance on your account detailed within your last bill dated 14.09.2018 was £1,926.72 debit, which was billed to estimated meter readings from 13.09.2018. The new balance on your account after adding the new amended removal readings is now £1,151.90 debit. Please allow 3-5 working days to receive your new statement within your online account facility.
    Based on these revised figures, I have calculated that moving forward, you will use approximately 5,400 kWh Day units and approximately 3,504 kWh Night units over the next 12 months. On your current tariff Online Fixed energy March 2019, this works out at approximately £1,452.20 per annum or around £121.00 per month.
    Please note that this figure is based on the usage on your current tariff over the next 12 months however, your tariff actually expires at the end of March 2019 and at that point this will naturally revert to our Standard tariff, should a new tariff not be chosen by that point.
    The next time we are due to complete a review of your monthly payment is on 3 December 2018 and this will be shown on your new statement at the time. If you would like a repayment plan for your outstanding balance, please contact me and I will review this for you.
    Even more of a puzzle is trying to reconcile your consumption figures(below), which you state are actual and not estimated, with the Npower annual estimate of 5,400kWh/3504kWh day/night. At 14.79p/7.55p this comes to £1,063. Added to this is the DSC (£117?) - even so it is difficult to see how Npowers estimate of £1452pa is reached.

A consumption in November of 303kWh/63kWh day/night is not compatible with an annual estimate of 5400kWh/3504kWh

Originally Posted by David2Prit viewpost.gif
    June 16 when moved in to flat
    £38 - July
    £41 - August
    £37 - September
    £44 - October
    £23- Nov (Holiday for 3 weeks)
    £52 - Dec
    those were real, not estimate.
    Here is last month when the new meter was installed:

Day
    0 Our estimate
    31 October 2018
    303 Our reading
    30 November 2018
    303 kWh at 14.790p £44.81

Night
    0 Our estimate
    31 October 2018
    63 Our reading
    30 November 2018
    63 kWh at 7.550p £4.76
  • Seen above, will reply in a little bit, when I get to the quiet office.....
  • Perhaps you would be prepared to comment on this point.

In principle, assuming that your total payments for 2017/8 are over 1500 pounds, it looks as if you are already in a position to tell nPower that you are going to court to recover the amount overpaid.
    It would however be a good idea to wait for the result of this thread

Sure it is around £1500, if not more.
    Will keep an eye on that thread.
  • In post#6 you have given the tariff cost as 14.79p day and 7.55p off-peak. The daily standing charge(DSC) has not been given but is £117pa in my region. In the Npower response below they state the have removed 5311day and 3437night units from your account. At 14.79p/7.55p this comes to £1,045. Yet they have only reduced your debit balance by £774.82(£1926.72 to £1151.90)

Standing charge 31 days at 30.950p - So standing charge is 30.95p per day, so around £112PA.
    Even more of a puzzle is trying to reconcile your consumption figures(below), which you state are actual and not estimated, with the Npower annual estimate of 5,400kWh/3504kWh day/night. At 14.79p/7.55p this comes to £1,063. Added to this is the DSC (£117?) - even so it is difficult to see how Npowers estimate of £1452pa is reached.

So that quote was given in an email before we submitted last months figures. So that will be why that is high.

On the online account though it is saying this: Based on your estimated usage, you may owe us £3,263.38 at your next annual Direct Debit reassessment.
    So I don't think they have recalculated it at all, even though they have had a month to do so.
  • David2Prit wrote: »
    Sure it is around £1500, if not more.
    Will keep an eye on that thread.

So just gone through all payments made to Npower for 17/18 and stands at the moment at £2044.71
    605 posts
    ✭✭
    Npowers account of events does not seem to be consistent with your account, although at first sight the discrepancy appears to be in your favour. You describe steadily rising bills, they say that there was a constant error.
    Looks like I did not make myself clear - I wanted a comment on the point above as best you can remember from the missing bills.
    It looks as if nPowers proposal for amending your bills is nonsense, but there are better or worse ways of suggesting this.
  • Looks like I did not make myself clear - I wanted a comment on the point above as best you can remember from the missing bills.
    It looks as if nPowers proposal for amending your bills is nonsense, but there are better or worse ways of suggesting this.

Oooh, the bills rose steadily, obviously we started to get into colder months and the bills were higher than summer months, so electricity use increased. I guess from that point, it was a constant error, where as I just noticed it getting higher and higher. So yes, it was a constant error, but higher bill in colder months due to increased electric usage.
    605 posts
    ✭✭
    David2Prit wrote: »
    I guess from that point, it was a constant error
    Why ?

Your guess doesnt seem to be consistent with "slowly but surely" starting in Jan/Feb.
  • Why ?

Your guess doesnt seem to be consistent with "slowly but surely" starting in Jan/Feb.

So Feb 17 they put in new meter, from then on bills went up. Probably should have been better with wording, but yeah, they shot up (for better phrasing) from my payment in Jan 17