Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Do you work for a charity?

I would love to get to know others who enjoy working for charities and how you got into it :)

What is your position?
What charity do you work for?
Why did you choose them?
Total debt 12/18 £9365.74 | Now: DEBT FREE
House Deposit 11/21 £11,192 | Need £25k

Comments

• I'm a volunteer, not a paid employee. I've also volunteered for other charities in the past.
  • I have recently retired but was a paid relief manager covering 36 shops for our local hospice....did this for over 20 years.
  • I have recently retired but was a paid relief manager covering 36 shops for our local hospice....did this for over 20 years.

That sounds really interesting luvchocolate! I imagine everyday was different?
    Total debt 12/18 £9365.74 | Now: DEBT FREE
    House Deposit 11/21 £11,192 | Need £25k
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've always worked for charities.
    Didn't choose them as such, they just happened to be employing at the time I was job hunting.
    Don't get too dewy eyed about the voluntary sector - they are still businesses with a financial bottom line and can be as cut throat as anyone else when they need to be.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • No I, but sometimes I feel I am given the salary.

Time to move away from manual labour and into a career me thinks.

I chose to apply for there because they are fairly local.

Credit to those who do work for free in charities, top people.
  • That sounds really interesting luvchocolate! I imagine everyday was different?

It was my dream job, but not all managers followed the rules and I always did so could cause some ruffled feathers with the volunteers.
    I pride myself getting to the the right shop on the right day with the right keys!!!!

It is a very physical job and challenging now with recycling but so rewarding.
  • Late to the party, but I'm a volunteer for an independent RSPCA branch. Started out solely as a retail assistant (till operation, donation handling etc.) but ended up taking on marketing/promotion, some PR elements and fundraising too.

As for why I chose them, I know the main charity can be controversial, however our branch is effectively a 'franchise' for lack of a better term. Our profits benefit local animals in need of rehoming as well as a clinic specifically for low-income pet owners who may not be able to afford veterinary bills elsewhere. I love what we do and seeing the revenue going to good use on a local level. Plus, being vegan, I wanted to actively help some animals whilst working towards future paid employment in the same sector. That's the dream!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure