Confused myself with paying off CC balance.

Options
I've got a 12 month 0% credit card with my bank. The deal ends around September 2019.

Its my first credit card and when I got my first statement the deadline date fell around a bank holiday weekend. I incorrectly assumed that if I paid it manually to make sure it went out on time, the DD wouldn't also go through, which meant that I ended up paying twice. I called up and got it refunded immediately.

Next month I received a letter saying that my DD had been cancelled, which is not what I asked for but fine because I have a couple of big purchases to make and I'd rather not have the balance paid in full going forward. I have been paying manually since but I haven't always paid the full amount.

This month, predictably, my spending has been quite high. I almost spent my entire limit but I did start the month with about £300 owed. I made a payment a week or so ago which now leaves me owing £200. Mid month I also realised that the option on my app to increase my limit is now allowing me to increase it by about 60%.

I'd like to do this as we're doing the house up and I'd like to take full advantage of the 0% deal for the remainder of the 12 months. My problem is that I don't know when is the best time to pay the remaining balance off, and when is the best time to apply for the increase. I assume I should wait for my statement, pay it and then apply for the increase but is there any harm in paying it off in full now and having a zero balance once my statement is generated before applying for the increase and making any big purchases?

Which would look best on my credit file and would anything scupper my chances of getting the credit increase?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's fairly irrelevant. They'll be looking at the longer term management of your account when considering you for the increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure