PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 Christmas Leftovers Thread

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I deliberately over cook on Christmas Day as we then live on the left overs till NYD

4 of us for dinner this year, half a horseshoe of gammon, a turkey boned and rolled ( not stuffed ) and a boned and rolled goose

Like PJ, in previous years I saved all the goose fat from the goose as it cooked on Christmas Eve , then gave jars of it to the neighbours for their roasties. A goose produces a lot of fat and whilst I love the roasties cooked in it, they are a special treat only in this house :)

So I will be expecting piles of left overs from dinner so we can have the same again Boxing Day without me having to cook anything more then fresh roasties. Friday it will be gammon egg and chip night, Saturday it will be bubble and squeak and cold goose/turkey/gammon. Sunday will be the last of the Turkey in a Turkey and Leek Pie, Monday it will be soup and fresh baked rolls, NYE it will be a table of all those bits and bobs of party foods , sausage rolls, pates and cheeses needing used and for NYD I have a fillet of beef - so back to the kitchen cooking :)

I work in Vegetable production so have all my veg peeled and cut and in vac pack bags ready to go so even todays marathon cooking session is easy peasy

I only get the two days off and the days between the holidays are manic in work with all the hotels and restaurants all taking extra everything. Very long days ahead so the least cooking I have to do in the evening , the better
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 December 2019 at 2:43PM
    Options
    I try to get 'back to normal' between Christmas and New Year as a damage limitation strategy! So no breakfast this morning and 'fancy' cheese/ cold meat with savoury crackers for lunch. Whatever is available. OH requested a pud so he got a mince pie topped with a spoonful of cranberry sauce and 'squirty' cream. Not my kind of thing but he said it was lovely! It'll be turkey and chips with pickles for tea. Usually as popular as the traditional Christmas dinner...
    He likes the leftover veg cut up and mixed with mayonnaise like a potato salad. Sounds awful to me but someone else might fancy giving it a try?
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    Annual Boxing Day meal prep is about to begin here. I love a traditional Xmas lunch, but think this is my absolute favourite meal flavour-wise in the world.
    Leftover shredded turkey cooked in a huge pan with:
    some leftover bacon lardons (from the sprouts)
    a lightly fried leek
    a dollop of creme fraiche and splash of leftover cream from pudds
    any leftover cranberry sauce
    All poured into a dish and topped with puff pastry. Drool.
    Served with mash and some fresh veg (plus any leftover from yesterday)
    Covered in yesterdays turkey gravy.
    Heaven.
    Grandparents joining us from 2:30/3pm...so better crack on.
    Happy Boxing Day all. :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    We are having Christmas dinner #2.
    It started over 30 years ago when we used to spend all Christmas day, evening and night at my Mum & Dad's with the whole family - my siblings and their kids.
    OH tolerated it but was always relieved when we were on our way home on Boxing Day morning.
    We used to cook our own Christmas dinner when we got home.
    We've had Christmas day on our own for quite a few years but still have our 2nd Christmas dinner today.
    It's more relaxed as everything just needs reheating.

Tomorrow will be a beef stew in the slow cooker to use up the left-over uncooked parsnips, carrots & leeks.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve just finished stripping the turkey carcass, and it’s yielded an impressive amount of meat. I’ll certainly make a few portions of turkey curry to go in the freezer, and probably some turkey and vegetable pies too.

The last of the roast pork has just made a sweet and sour dish for tonight’s supper. There wasn’t very much left from yesterday so I thought it might just feed the two of us for one meal, but with the addition of plenty of sliced peppers, spring onions, carrots, pineapple, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots ..... it’s turned into at least six portions, so I am very pleased with that.

The turkey carcass is currently in the pressure cooker turning itself into stock for this week’s lunchtime soups.
  • gairlochgal
    Options
    we had some broccoli in cheese sauce left over, along with a few roast potatoes. I cut the potatoes small, put it all in an oven dish, added gammon bits and pieces and topped with bread crumbs. 20 mins in the oven. Delicious.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I currently have my leftover veg in the slow cooker with lentils, chickpeas, onion, stock and a few spices that I will blend into soup and freeze for work lunches.

I am at work tomorrow so the remains of the salad will be decluttered into my lunch box with the last of the hummus and a bit of left over potato salad.

Hopefully the Turkey and ham will be nibbled and made into sandwiches over the next few days by hubby and brother. I will keep pushing it untill its gone.

There is some leftover apple pie, cream and a chocolate log left but that will get eaten over the next day or 2 without me needing to mention it.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sunset_gold
    Options
    Has anyone frozen a cheesecake? Have a whole vanilla one unopened, bought ys on Xmas eve and 4 individual pieces of various flavours still to eat, but don’t think between the two of us our waistlines can take anymore right now. We are going away after new year so would like to freeze them until February/March.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has anyone frozen a cheesecake? .

I haven,t but find most cake & dessert mixtures freeze pretty successfully so I would certainly try it. If you worry about being able to face eating it in one go I suggest you try cutting it into portions before freezing so that you only have to remove what you immediately want to eat from the freezer at any one go.
  • sunset_gold
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I haven,t but find most cake & dessert mixtures freeze pretty successfully so I would certainly try it. If you worry about being able to face eating it in one go I suggest you try cutting it into portions before freezing so that you only have to remove what you immediately want to eat from the freezer at any one go.

Thanks Primrose I’ll do that now and cutting into slices will make it easier to squeeze into the already full freezer!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback