PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Thanks Elsiepac for adding my budget to the list!

I’m off work all week so intend to do a freezer/cupboard inventory and then a meal plan!

My son has friends over on NYE so may need some nibbles!

Have a good day, esp if back at work!

Pix :wave:
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • monks
    monks Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please could you put me down for *** £3000*** for the year again and thank you for running this thread. Wishing everyone a happy new year in advance☺️
    Annual GC £3000- £2600

EF#176 - £1000/£1000
    Weight loss 0/7
    Clutter free challenge 1500/2019
  • Hi everyone
    can Highland Fling January GC target be £100.
    Thankyou.:)
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Can I be put down for £161.20 please for Jan (calendar month). It is a really annoying number but I've been on £5 a day for the last 3 years and am now struggling a bit to stick to this so I'm upping it to £5.20 a day! :p

I definitely need to be a bit more organised and do at least a loose meal plan. I usually eat at my Dad's a few times a week which complicates things. I don't always know which day I'll go round until I've finished work that day, or even how many times I need to go round in any given week. (He's not very well & has good days and bad - I'm sort of his carer now). Sometimes he pays for the food for those days and sometimes I do, but when I pay (or pick up the odd bits of food for him for the next few days) it is often bought en route as I don't know what he has in or needs in advance, and the cost really adds up. I need to make sure I get these bits in Aldi / Lidl or similar where poss, or cook stuff in advance to fill his freezer and just heat / cook that. We've catalogued his freezer and we both have access to the list via an app which helps, but I still need to go through his cupboards and list all the foods that he has no idea how to cook so will only be used up when I'm there! :rotfl:

I've also catalogued my freezer too... I forsee falafels a lot in the next few weeks! :whistle:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • My paydays run from 27th to the 27th so I'm into my January grocery budget.
    Spent £1.84/£50.00 today on some eggs & a small reduced loaf of bread. Reduced price 69p, full price &1.75! Blooming thing is tiny. Warbies "old English white".
  • Aiming for £200 for January. Will see how i get on from there.
    This is for food and drink only. It does not include toiletries/cleaning or pet food.

I'm hoping Brexit and an impending house move in the summer, doesn't wreck all my hard work. It's taken me years to get where i am now.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Hi I will aim for £450 for the whole of January. really hoping to start managing a bit better. Family of 6. will see how it goes!!
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    edited 27 December 2018 at 8:02PM
    taka wrote: »
    I forsee falafels a lot in the next few weeks! :whistle:[/FONT]

Taka, why falafels? I like them, so I'm curious!

PipneyJane, I love your signature comment btw!! My physio/pilates teacher is that kind of person too :rotfl:
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Taka, why falafels? I like them, so I'm curious!

I think they have been breeding in my (very small!) freezer. 4 different packs in there and thats before we get to the pack I bought as a Christmas treat (currently in my fridge) and the chestnuts and cranberries on standby to be made into these :eek: I love, love, love falafels but I am rather overstocked! It'd be good to use at least some up soonish so I can fit portions of other things in my freezer! :rotfl:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • Thanks for the thread and all the work you have put in last year. I am going for £600 this month. This is a big reduction for us but last month I finally came in under budget. However budget is way too high. I’m going to be less accommodating with the making three different meals thing! I’m going to try make 1 meal for everyone or two at a push. Happy New Year when it comes x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure