PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal in retirement

Options

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I've a long history of 'saving clothes for best', which I'm doing my best to break. Otherwise clothes sit there unworn for years because there's never the right opportunity to wear them

In this spirit, I'm currently wearing a top I bought at the sales just after Christmas. I might not have worn it if we'd been in all day, but we did walk to the shopping centre today, so I thought this would be a suitable day to wear it.

In the year before retirement and the couple of years afterwards, I didn't get many clothes at all. However, in the last couple of years I've bought some new things, mostly in sales and on discount days.

I've just had a sort out of old clothes and they are beyond redemption and will go to the fabric recycling bin. I've got another batch of summer clothes that I know I won't wear, so I plan eBaying them in late spring.

All being well, I intend buying a few more clothes this year, so intend having another sort out later in the year.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • frizz2
    frizz2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am really enjoying reading this thread, and appreciate the ideas shared. I have a few ideas that may help also. With regard to buying clothes, I buy clothes in the sale from M and S or Next in the Summer and Winter sales. I buy 4/ 5 jumpers in the winter and 4/ 5 shirts in the Summer. If needed, I buy 3 pairs of trousers in the summer and winter. I find this really helpful plan. I can then vary what I wear using last years buys also. This winter I spent £55 and got 5 jumpers/ tops that I will wear. I buy a coat every two years and all accessories in the sale. It sounds boring, but I then never go shopping for clothes until it is the sales. It helps me budget and I have clothes I like.
    With regard to holidays, there are so many hotels that you can stay in at such a reasonable cost if you book in advance. I have just been away with my husband for three nights and it cost £84 pounds, that is room only for the total cost of the holiday. I take Tesco Vouchers for meals out and save on breakfast and lunches.
    I find planning ahead is the way that works for me.
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    I do understand that keeping clothes for special occasions that never come can be depressing, but I don't do that. I do enjoy my nice clothes as well as wearing old ones around the house.
    frizz2, I am amazed, both at the number of clothes you buy and the cost. As I rarely buy clothes, I don't know what a good top would cost, but £10-11 sounds cheap to me. Certainly less than I spend on fabric for most of my tops, but I expect most of my clothes to last for years.
    Please, in the spirit of this board, don't think I am 'criticising' - I am interested in how we learn from each other about how we make the most of our money.
    I made a chambray shirt last year, using fair trade fabric, that cost me £50 (with ordinary chambray it would have cost about £30). It replaced a similar shirt, made 20 years ago, that I have now downgraded to 'around the house'.
    I am now making a pair of black cord trousers (cost £24) that are replacing some 10 year old ones (which will still get worn around the house)
    Some of my friends say they would find this boring, making clothes last so long, but I take a lot of pleasure in the beautiful chambray shirt - the yoke is lined with a left-over piece of special fabric, and the buttons are from my mother's 'box'. I wonder if it will see me out!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning guys
    I thought I’d pop by before work to say hello.
    Buildersdaughter I’d love to be able to sew but by past experience I know that whatever I make wouldn’t last long (or fit) Over the years sewing machines have been bought (then sold a couple of years later when I’d not used them) I’ve finally come to the conclusion that sewing isn’t one of my skills. Knitting too is only scarves and blankets. As much as I’d love to be I’m no good at it. But I enjoy knitting and crocheting scarfs and blankets so we have lots of those ( and so do my family)
    Since I’ve lost weight I’ve started to love buying clothes again, I hated it for a while but feel much better now. I am going to have to rein that in a bit but tend to buy clothes that last years, that are interchangeable and that I can dress up with bracelets etc. I keep a look out for what I like then wait for the sales. If it doesn’t happen it wasn’t meant to be.
    I’ve been really food so far. I have £2 sat in my purse that has been there since New Year’s Day. I’ve done an online shop for fresh stuff and some frozen last week but no need this week.
    I’ve a few hours overtime this week so that’s keeping me busy.
    Also Father Brown is back on in the afternoon so I sat yesterday and watched that with a nice cup of tea. Small pleasures.
    Anyway I better go
    I hope you are all well
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning,
    I have tons of clothes with the majority having been bought years ago and kept for good. When I worked I wore nicer things at the weekend and old jeans/joggers and baggy jumpers in the evenings. I changed that about 18 months ago and bought some smarter trousers to wear with existing nicer tops for wearing Monday to Friday. Weekends I still wear dressier things even if I'm home alone.

I now just reorganise my wardrobes and don't declutter as this only gives me an excuse to buy more instead of wearing the clothes I already own. Things are only put out if they are really done. I have decided not to buy any clothes for 6 months, depending how I go I might continue for the year. I will still buy wool to knit myself a jacket as I can't exist without knitting :rotfl:

I have my niece's wedding in March and was going to buy an outfit but I've checked my wardrobe and have a lovely red lace tunic I bought about 15 years ago and have worn twice. I also have pleated evening trousers I bought on a cruise 8 years ago and have never worn. My shoes are black Gabor shoes I've had for more than 20 years that are kept for best and have been re-heeled once. My black fur trimmed jacket is about 10 years old and emerges from the wardrobe a couple of times each winter. At one time I would have had to buy a new outfit to keep up with the Jones' but now I'm old enough and wise enough not to care.

buildersdaughter I used to sew all my outfits and coats before I had my children then I only sewed outfits for them until they were about 8ish. I used to love making my clothes - I think I'll give it a go again.

I don't post often but I do enjoy reading this xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    I well know the feeling of just not being able to do something! I can't knit - I have tried and just cannot keep the tension! I do crochet - which makes lovely patterns, but less wearable stuff - so I make thibgs for Loving Hands - a charity I found out about on this board.
    Cardigans and tops that others might knit, I sew.
    I don't have the patience for proper gardening either, but, as I have posted elsewhere on this board, my DH made me a raised bed from wood off cuts. I can reach it all easily (I have arthritis) and it keeps us in salad & spinach all year round, with beans and tomatoes in summer. That saves us at least £1-2 a week not spent on 'leaves'.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh to be able to sew...I remember my days of sewing at school, it was my most dreaded lesson! :rotfl: I can knit, the basic stitches, but have no patience with it, so if I drop a stitch I get really cross as I can never pick it up properly. Years ago when I went through a stage of knitting, I would take it to my mum to sort out when things went wrong. She is now in a care home and no longer knits. Says she no longer enjoys it, which is a shame when I think of all the things she used to do....anyway, I am getting off the subject, sorry.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

I also like to sew but not particularly good at it, well making clothes anyway, Im Ok with embroidery but theres only so much you can do of that as I like to make things for a reason. But this year I think I will look into sewing for me but looking for clothes in CS that I can alter or use the material for something if I find something in a really bit size. not sure how it will work out but I will give it a go.

Made broccoli soup this morning with some that was hiding at the back of the fridge since just before Christmas, Ive wizzed it up and it tastes nice but I may add a bit of cheese into it or not.

This year Im only going to grow what I eat on the lottie, I always try something new (last year was chickpeas but what grew didn't even amount to 1/4 tin and they took up quite a bit of room) and no cabbages as I don't like things that seem to live in them!!

Im having a declutter at the moment but it doesn't seem to be taking very long as I haven't a lot of stuff and Im going to spend less time on the lap top whilst having the TV so that is off at present. I'll leave the TV on all day even if Im upstairs or outside!!

Anyway off to have a bowl of the soup for lunch, then another cupboard is calling to me.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    It’s very chilly here today but I’m feeling lovely and warm now. I’d put a slow cooker of chilli on before I went to work and it smelt yummy to come home to. Tasted good too and cost buttons to make. I might open a tin of rice pud later ( small pleasures )
    This month is going well so far. I’ve had £2 in my purse since new year and it’s still there. I’ll need to do a food shop next week but OH is on the frugal bandwagon with me which helps.
    I’ve rooted out my half made crochet blanket to get on with this evening to keep me busy ( and out of the fridge)
    Our little flat can get lovely and snuggly very quickly. It’s small ( which can be a pain at times if people want to stay) but doesn’t take much heating.
    I hope everyone is keeping well and warm.
    I’m thinking positive that this cold might kill a few germs. There’s a lot of people round here full of cold.
    It’s lovely to hear from so many like minded people. Keep up the good work guys.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    nannygladys I misread your post as I'm only going to eat what I grow on the allotment and thought to myself I'd starve if I tried that:rotfl:
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure