Car purchase + warranty on a Credit card Section 75 claim?

Options
Hi All

I purchased a car from a dealer along with a warranty in September. Car city Ilford

At the time they were persistent when I made purchase for the car to pay bank transfer which I refused and instead opted half credit card/ half debit card. to give me protection.

I have been persistently chasing the dealer as the warranty company VGS Group are claiming not to have received the registration warranty paperwork from them.

This has been going on now for 4 months. Hence my 15 month warranty purchased is useless.

I purchased the car on half credit card/ half debit card.

Am I entitled under section 75 from my credit card company to recoup the warranty money paid?

Thanks

Note: All attempts to contact the dealer have now failed. Apparently they have closed down.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd say yes, on the basis that you paid for something and didn't receive it, assuming that the purchase paperwork makes it clear that the warranty provider was VGS Group and that they're saying that they're unable to provide the service because of omissions by the dealer, which will now not be forthcoming if the business has folded.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    How much did the warranty cost you - over £100? Are you able to demonstrate that the warranty was paid for by the credit card part of the transaction (that probably wouldn't be a S75 claim deal-breaker but it may create wriggle room for the card issuer)?

Anyway, should be no need for a section 75 claim; a simple Chargeback for 'non-receipt' should get you your warranty cash back. It would then be up to you to source your own warranty elsewhere.

I hope the car is functioning well so far.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You bought the car in Sept 4 months ago with a 15 month warranty? Have you had need to make a claim on the warranty yet? If not in what way is it useless? I agree its not good service but I'm unsure if S75 would I apply, why not to write to the MD of the supplier giving them say 21 days to put this right? Then if they don't persue S75
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    You bought the car in Sept 4 months ago with a 15 month warranty? Have you had need to make a claim on the warranty yet? If not in what way is it useless? I agree its not good service but I'm unsure if S75 would I apply, why not to write to the MD of the supplier giving them say 21 days to put this right? Then if they don't persue S75

I think the issue is that the warranty company hasn't been paid by the car dealer, so the warranty isn't active. The time delay will also be an issue for any Chargeback rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure