Buyer returned ring in terrible condition

Options
I sold a gents sterling silver ring to a lady a few weeks ago. The lady put a complaint in to eBay (never contacting me first) saying in her opinion it is not sterling silver. I pointed out that the ring is clearly stamped, I sent the description from when I bought it and also the online reviews for the exact ring. I was told to pay £3.05 for a return label for her to send it back (original postage was £1.68) and to refund her in full including original P+P on receipt. The ring arrived today in a massive A4 size envelope and I was devastated when I opened it. The ring had been cut through jaggedly at the bottom leaving burn marks on it and someone had attempted to fix it by applying a massive blob of solder on the inside of the ring. I can’t re-sell it. I’ve put a complaint in to eBay but they keep emailing me to refund in full now I have received it back. It’s obvious the lady purchased the wrong size and has tried to enlarge it herself but made a mess of it and come up with an excuse to return it saying it’s not sterling silver. eBay haven’t asked for photos and I’m sure they would be shocked if they saw it. What do I do?

Comments

• What do I do?

You can take photos of the ring and upload to the return, wait for eBay to refund the buyer and then appeal.

If eBay aren't of any help (likely) send a letter before action to the buyer and if the value is significant enough file through small claims if the letter doesn't do the job.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Sadly the above post is correct.

You will have to appeal the case - I suggest you do it by telephone AND by uploading your evidence.

Fingers crossed for you, it's gutting and it would be helpful to others to know your final outcome, which I hope is a better one than currently given.
  • notjustamum
    Options
    I wish I knew how to post the before and after pics. It is truly shocking.
  • Snap-ant
    Snap-ant Posts: 15,944 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• notjustamum
    notjustamum Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 December 2018 at 11:50PM
    Options
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3apcqfqim/

Hope this link works. These are the 2 ‘after’ pics. The middle pic is the ‘before’ - as you can see ring was one solid piece
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is truly shocking !
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

Hope this link works. These are the 2 ‘after’ pics. The middle pic is the ‘before’ - as you can see ring was one solid piece

Have you spoken to ebay yet? Have you tackled the buyer direct though ebay messaging?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Unfortunately it's the pitfalls of selling on Ebay, buyers can be liars and cheats.

I used to sell a lot on Ebay but haven't for a long time now due to this type of thing.

if I ever do sell on Ebay again I just have to realise it's at my risk as it can happen to anyone.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

That is horrendous.

I would reply stating that the buyer has not returned the same ring, and that you will not be issuing a refund until the original ring is returned .

If eBay refund, You have the buyers address, so I would send them a letter before action giving them 14 days to either return the correct ring, or pay £X for the cost of the ring and to have it returned to them.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    That is horrendous.

I would reply stating that the buyer has not returned the same ring, and that you will not be issuing a refund until the original ring is returned .

If eBay refund, You have the buyers address, so I would send them a letter before action giving them 14 days to either return the correct ring, or pay £X for the cost of the ring and to have it returned to them.
    I'm guessing from the postage paid either way that the value is not that high. Anyone who can return a ring in such a state is not going to pay up either from a letter before action or through court. Court would seem a costly option with an uncertain chance of getting any money back.
    Personally I'd pursue Ebay, by the direct route or via social media. Tweet them with a picture attached. The most powerful picture would be of the ring as it was sold and then the return and ask why they're forcing you to refund a customer who obviously damaged your item.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure