Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

*sigh* this may take a while - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

*sigh* this may take a while

edited 19 September 2020 at 8:55PM in Debt Free Diaries
1K replies 91.7K views

Replies

• mark55manmark55man Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    if I may be more than usually direct, I think you have to go for the one that pays the most, end of. you clearly (and I think we all agree with that) don't want to work Saturdays, and however much you like the various jobs - not working weekends is your personal target, so the shortest route to debt free/not working is killing the debt in chunks that are as big as possible to compensate for each weekend worked.

plus with locum work generally, if you're keen there's usually more where that came from, and then you have further potential for earning
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour/Drinking milk shakes cold & long/Smiling & waving & looking so fine
    Weight 17/01/2021:95.5kg - YTD: -1kg, Trips to tip: 02/52 - Rooms Painted: 0/4 - Steps >5000: 2/300
    Debt 01/01/2021:-£107.5K - YTD (17/01): [email protected]%:{PDBX21 #26} £550/£12299 - {MFW21 #57} OP Pot: £2.7K/£102K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020:£37.5K 2021 (Repaid YTD): £1.8K
  • ohdearhowdidthathappenohdearhowdidthathappen Forumite
    840 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Only you can decide on the Saturday job front. We got 10% discount from Mr T when DS worked there - but according to MySup Mr A is cheaper even after that discount. Perhaps quantify the discount. I would be tempted to have a stab at the locum thing - you mentioned earlier in your diary that you were tempted by that anyway. It may be the step in the door your need to establish an income from locuming that is as you've said double your normal rate. This would help you clear debt quicker and as you say you could then reduce your hours again.

Very true... the retailer I work for own high end supermarkets and department stores. The discount basically enables us to buy higher end products for the price of mid range ones elsewhere. I was discussing this with OH the other day as I wonder sometimes if we spend MORE than we would usually, as items look like relative bargains. I think it's also turned my older 2 into slight label snobs :o

I think I've got disillusioned working for the NHS, which is sad as I went into healthcare as a profession for the right reasons and the enthusiasm has been drained out of me a bit. I do wonder if a mix of locuming/NHS to increase my take home pay might offset some of the feeling of being overworked/underpaid :o
    Debt Dec '18 £45393. Debt free June 2020
    New savings goals: House renovations £0/£15000, FFEF £0/£15000
    Mortgage June 2020: £340K, aim to OP £100 per month minimum.
    840 posts
    ✭✭✭
    mark88man wrote: »
    if I may be more than usually direct, I think you have to go for the one that pays the most, end of. you clearly (and I think we all agree with that) don't want to work Saturdays, and however much you like the various jobs - not working weekends is your personal target, so the shortest route to debt free/not working is killing the debt in chunks that are as big as possible to compensate for each weekend worked.

plus with locum work generally, if you're keen there's usually more where that came from, and then you have further potential for earning

I like direct :D and your thinking makes a lot of sense and is what I've been erring towards over the last few days.

I have never really minded working Saturdays when it made financial sense re childcare. Plus I've always had a little one at home so there were more pros than cons to Saturday working.

I think with my youngest starting school, it feels like a bit of an end of an era and I've almost had too many options of what to focus on workwise and what I see myself doing for the next 25+ years.

Since deciding to change departments and embark on further training (thereby increasing my weekdays worked from 2 days to 3), Saturdays now irritate me hugely :rotfl: and, as you say, the focus should be on stopping them asap (once our books balance a bit better).

I start in my new department in November and I think that's when the locum position would be available (rota is done 2-3 months in advance), I only have a 2 week notice period for retail job :think:
    840 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I realise I've been a massive bore with the job dilemma, but it's reflective of what's been going on in my head in RL, I've been boring myself!

Anyway, decision made, I've accepted locum position :T they actually don't want me to start until beginning of December (typical NHS slowness :rotfl:). This is good though as gives me a month in the new job to suss it out.... I can also buy all my Xmas presents with discount before I leave retail job :rotfl:
    840 posts
    ✭✭✭
    3 of my 5 children are at an active kids camp today, saw it suggested on MSE and had the nectar points to cover, so a free day for them. Going to hibernate with the other 2 today, it's soooooo hot!

I'm working the next 2 days; one is my usual day, the other is an extra shift, so £120 extra earned.

£700 of our holiday spend is on the credit card, I'm going to pay spare money into it throughout the month as I want to minimise the month's balance. Realistically, if I can match the £1900 figure of August's bill, it'll be a bit of a miracle :o.

I had to pay the next installments on child 2s two school trips, they totalled £300. I also got the kids feet measured at the weekend, all needed shoes and trainers.... another £300. So holiday plus trips and shoes add up to £1900 on credit card even before petrol and food.

One of the school trips is now paid in full, the other one has £450 left to pay in three installments, but not until next year thankfully
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, definitely work where my husband does lol! I had a huge relief when I realised that I could get my daughters school shoes with the discount! However it sounds like you have made the right decision for you, and I get you on the children turning a bit snobby. I do my main food shop with the discount, but I do go to a cut price supermarket for certain things that are just better value. I like to have some balance lol.

Keep at it, and I know what it's like to have all the kids need clothes and shoes at once, this month has been a but disastrous with that.
    Dad 6k
    Offer on house and chain complete 21st July 2020
    Solicitors instructed 23rd July 2020
    Mortgage application 28th July 2020
    Mortgage valuation booked 12th August 
    Mortgage offer 7th September! 😁
    All enquiries answered and ready to exchange 6 Nov 2020
    Buyer pulled out 7 Nov 2020
    New offer accepted 10 Nov 2020
    Back on the rollercoaster, hope to exchange and complete Jan 2021!
  • crunch_timecrunch_time Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well done for making a decision and how great that it works out with Christmas! And no you are no being a bore!

X
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
    840 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Took lunch to work today. unusual for me. Remembered why I don't, was a very uninspiring lunch :rotfl:

I'm a bit late to the party, but been watching Line of Duty and Peaky Blinders over the last month or so. Both are brilliant! Only just starting S3 of PB, hoping to catch up quickly as S5 has just started :D
    840 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Worked today, very boring, but extra shift so £120 earned,
    Day off tomorrow, NSD planned.
    Whopping argument with entitled teen this evening, one of her usual 'life is unfair because I can't have x, y, z' conversations. She basically accused my husband and I of being lazy and not earning enough.... it did not go down well and I'm pretty sure her ears are still ringing as I told her a few home truths. Grrr
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well done on the extra shift! How old is entitled teen? Could she get a job so she can buy the things she wants and start to understand the actual value of money?