🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Halifax Flexi Card

Options
2»

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cgloss96 wrote: »
    Oh really?! So let's say I use the card in July, I will receive a Credit Card Statement in August, let's say -£150 and on that it will give a due date e.g. September 1st and I should pay the £150 back into the CC account between August 1st - September 1st?

As already replied, that's much more like it.

But a small proviso - don't think in calendar months. Maybe you aren't anyway, and you just chose those as a simple example, but I thought it worth mentioning just in case, the statement date could be any time of the month, and the due date a few days before the next statement.

And on an allied point, some banks are willing to move the statement to a more convenient date if you ask, for instance pay just after salary received rather than before.
  • dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cgloss96 wrote: »
    Oh really?! So let's say I use the card in July, I will receive a Credit Card Statement in August, let's say -£150 and on that it will give a due date e.g. September 1st and I should pay the £150 back into the CC account between August 1st - September 1st?

Much better to set up a "Pay In Full" direct debit rather than having to remember when to pay it. Lots of tales on here where people get late payment fees due to not allowing for weekends, bank holidays or miscalculating how a refund to the card will be treated.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not having a pop at anyone here but I just don't get it. Spending on a card and paying it immediately - what's the point and who is spreading the idea that this is a good way to manage your life? Remember, that's actually what you should be trying to do - manage your life, not your credit score.

This 30% utilisation figure is another one that baffles me - why? If I spend (& pay off) £300 on my card every month and my credit limit is £500, my utilisation is 60%. If my credit limit is £1000, my utilisation is 30%. If my credit limit is £10K, my utilisation is 3%. I'm still borrowing and paying £300 per month.

Maybe it is true that keeping to 30% utilisation will help to massage the numbers in one's (largely irrelevant) credit score but, if your aim is to influence potential lenders with your credit history, then surely, they will be considering your utilisation alongside your credit limits and your payment habits.

My Experian credit score (which I know means Jack & Diddly) has remained steadfastly at 999 for the past 30 years - or, at least, that's what it has shown on the various occasions I've checked it. It doesn't seem to make any difference how I use the card as long as I pay it off in full every month after getting my statement.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I would definitely set up a direct debit to pay off the full balance just in case you ever forget

in any case don't leave it to the very last day before paying as it can occasionally take a little while to clear so if I were you I'd pay it at the latest a couple of days before the due date

nothing to stop you paying some of us at anytime after the statement date and the rest before the due date if you feel more comfortable that way

sometimes for example if I have a statement for £300 I paid £200 immediately just to get it down really and the other 100 later on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport