Is this Safe to do with Electric Junction (choc) block?

Options
fkNih.jpg

Although the picture is a little complicated for what I need to do, I wonder if it will work safely?

I'm fitting a new light.

In the ceiling there is a choc block that has a blue and brown wire dangling down, so I plan to just use those two ends to connect to my light pendant. In the ceiling there is an earth wire although it's not currently connected to the light that I could see. I'll be connecting mine though as its metal.

I have a choc block (sorry don't know the proper term) that I need to connect 8 bulbs to. An electrician friend of mine said I could fit 4 wires in one end of the choc block and 5 wires in the other side. The 5th wire would then attach to the ceiling and make the circuit.

However, the 4 wires don't fit in one end.

So could I connect, say 3 wires in one end. Then fit two in the side, with a 3rd wire looping round to the next block? Then fit the rest of the wires on either side of that leaving one trailing wire that I'd connect to the ceiling?

Then the same for the other wires apart from the Earth which is just the one wire.

Thanks

Comments

• anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is an exact drawing of what I want to do:

IMG-20181216-170126.jpg

The last block on the right will be linked like the one on the left but I forgot to draw it in.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Do you know what those terminal blocks are rated for?

Somebody will be along shortly to tell you to contact an electrician. To be fair, they’re probably right in this instance.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I prefer Wago connectors for this kind of thing. Easier to connect, easier to make safe, no screws.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 December 2018 at 12:43AM
    Options
    Wago connectors would be good. A neat alternative is a Surewire product. For multiple lights, I'd go for the SW7M-MF https://www.screwfix.com/p/surewire-sw7m-mf-16a-7-way-pre-wired-junction-box-white/4413j - Not cheap, but you do get a very neat job. For the OP, a wire to bridge the switch terminals, and then there would be eight sets of terminals for all the lights.

Also space inside the cover to make notes documenting what was done and why. Always useful for future reference.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Darwinism..
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I read the writing on the power supply correctly, it looks like it's rated 10A. So you need to ensure the terminal blocks are rated at least 10A.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure