Brothers Esa stopped

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
5 replies 1.3K views
geoff1057geoff1057 Forumite
198 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Brothers on long term sick had esa (contribution)stopped and Called him in for interview Told thatyears ago he hadn’t put down on his income capacity claim form , some income that he was receiving ,Brother denies this.Since then he’s gone on to esa 2011,but has never had a support and allowance form from dwp to fill in where he says he would have supplied them with all his income info . Dwp have only got his allowances from incap benefit form . No signed form form for esa, showing any income. Can they do this

Replies

• kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm struggling to follow this a little. So your brother was on incapacity benefit, and transferred to ESA? When did his income increase? Did he declare that he had an increase in income, maybe via a phone call or letter?

Was he placed in the support group or the work related activity group? I beleive that contributions based ESA only lasts for a year if you are in WRAG (hope I have that right - if not, please can someone lese clarify?). I'm wondering if he was on C-ESA, but has been transferred to IB-ESA, and has not declared his additional income.

It may also depend on where the income is from.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geoff1057 wrote: »
    Brothers on long term sick had esa (contribution)stopped and Called him in for interview Told thatyears ago he hadn’t put down on his income capacity claim form , some income that he was receiving ,Brother denies this.Since then he’s gone on to esa 2011,but has never had a support and allowance form from dwp to fill in where he says he would have supplied them with all his income info . Dwp have only got his allowances from incap benefit form . No signed form form for esa, showing any income. Can they do this
    I'm also struggling to understand any of this. Why did they call him in for an interview?

If he transferred from IB to ESA then he would have been claiming Contributions based, possibly with an Income related top up.

Did he have savings/capital that he failed to report?
  • kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I'm also struggling to understand any of this. Why did they call him in for an interview?

If he transferred from IB to ESA then he would have been claiming Contributions based, possibly with an Income related top up.

Did he have savings/capital that he failed to report?

I thought it was just me. It isn't clear whether the interview was a compliance interview or a face to face assessment. Maybe the OP could clarify, so that accurate help can be offered.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was just me. It isn't clear whether the interview was a compliance interview or a face to face assessment. Maybe the OP could clarify, so that accurate help can be offered.
    It's that "3rd party" information again.. People often post questions for other people but don't know all the information before posting. This makes it impossible to advise further.

OP to receive any help then we'll need to know all of the correct information. Was your brother claiming Contributions base...Contributions based with an Income related top up? Did he attend a face to face assessment and was then found fit for work? Was in a compliance interview?
  • edited 14 December 2018 at 11:15AM
    geoff1057geoff1057 Forumite
    198 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2018 at 11:15AM
    Sorry for not getting back .Brother has been called in by benefits office for interview in Jan. He has finally managed to get info and help from CAB. Trying to help him ,my post read like gobbildegook,so sorry for that. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides