IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Private parking appeals up 7% - but fewer are successful - MSE News

More motorists are contesting private parking tickets but those who are successful has dropped by more than 10%, according to figures published by the UK's largest private parking appeals service...
Read the full story:
'Private parking appeals up 7% - but fewer are successful'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• edited 11 December 2018 at 10:51AM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 December 2018 at 10:51AM
    not surprised if people are using the official MSE article on how to appeal that drops people in it

MSE admins need to alter their advice or remove it altogether until it is up to 2018/2019 standards because at the moment it is awful AND out of date too

maybe we need a fairer system with only one AOS sanctioned by the Government with a Code Of Practice endorsed by the uk government ? oh wait :_

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2017-19/parkingcodeofpractice.html
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, POPLA, that bastion of independence.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the other lot, I would love to see their statistics.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • StaffsSWStaffsSW Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bigger point to raise I think is why so many are uncontested by the parking companies.

Why should people have the stress and hassle of having to jump through all of the appeals hoops, only for the PPC to call it off? They know they are scamming motorists, but just use the appeals process, and to a degree the court process, as tools of their extortion.

This is why when dealing with my fleet, I put in a strong appeal in the first instance, and do not engage in the POPLA/IAS process - if they are convinced they are in the right, then I let them know they can discuss it with me in front of a judge.

Strangely, very few take up the offer.

(Your situation may be very different to mine)
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • StaffsSWStaffsSW Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The_Deep wrote: »
    What about the other lot, I would love to see their statistics.

https://theipc.info/uploads/kSJm3KJvMlvkjkiTJS54q8hr7R25474zp7tDy4Tuo18/IAS%20Annual%20Report%20v1%20Nov2018-V1.pdf

18,009 received - 25% won by the motorist, but 19% of that was due to the PPC not contesting.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • twhitehousescattwhitehousescat Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    StaffsSW wrote: »
    https://theipc.info/uploads/kSJm3KJvMlvkjkiTJS54q8hr7R25474zp7tDy4Tuo18/IAS%20Annual%20Report%20v1%20Nov2018-V1.pdf

18,009 received - 25% won by the motorist, but 19% of that was due to the PPC not contesting.

or 19% lost paperwork in the post /spam box
  • beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the increasing ignorance of POPLA assessors, it's no surprise

Roll on a new government system that is separate from the scammers
  • CastleCastle Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    StaffsSW wrote: »
    The bigger point to raise I think is why so many are uncontested by the parking companies.

Why should people have the stress and hassle of having to jump through all of the appeals hoops, only for the PPC to call it off? They know they are scamming motorists, but just use the appeals process, and to a degree the court process, as tools of their extortion.
    Money basically; uncontested cases are free and there's no need to disclose any awkward documents like landowner's contract, (if there is one!).

As I've said before on other threads, POPLA codes should be paid for upfront by the PPC; it will concentrate their minds when dealing with the initial appeal from the RK/Driver.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely it is up to the judges to crack down on the spurious claims. If they started punishing PPCs by awarding punitive damages when the PPC is loses, they would be less eager to go to court.

I took a scammer to court, (not parking), for blatant dishonesty, and ended up over £300 out of pocket. The judge seemed to think that issuing false instruments and claiming for expenses not incurred was not unreasonable.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    36.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quote from the report by Uncle Bryn:
    If the role of the IAS is to adjudicate on the lawfulness of a parking charge and the veracity of evidence, mitigation is all about customer service and public relations for a parking operator. In the words of the Roman writer Publilius Syrus: “A good reputation is more valuable than money.”
    Espoused by absolutely no one in the private parking game.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides