Brexit - section 75 protection

Options
Hi,

I'm looking at booking a holiday in May next year and would like to book the flights and hotel separately. I've heard that a package holiday affected by Brexit would be ATOL protected and you would get a refund if you could not get to your destination due to Brexit flight disruption. If you were to book separately on a credit card would your holiday be protected in the same way using section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act?

I'd like to go ahead and book. We can't stop our life for this Brexit disaster but my husband is cautious.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why on earth would Brexit affect a piece of UK domestic legislation? People seriously need to get a grip.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A hotel booking would not be affected by Brexit so you wouldn't be able to claim for that.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Project Fear gone mad.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Why on earth would Brexit affect a piece of UK domestic legislation? People seriously need to get a grip.

Try reading the question... the OP asked whether a piece of UK domestic legislation would provide protection against a problem that some people believe might be caused by Brexit. (Incidentally the answer is 'no': if you book a hotel on your credit card and then a problem with your flight prevents you from using that booking then you have lot your payment. That is what would happen if Brexit -- or for that matter the Flying Spaghetti Monster -- prevented your flights from operating.)
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    Project Fear gone mad.

If the politicians cannot sort out the rights of UK citizens living in the EU and EU citizens living here -- something that they promised as soon as negotiations began -- then what makes you imagine that they will be able to sort out flights, or anything even remotely complicated?
  • Westin
    edited 11 December 2018 at 5:02AM
    Options
    If the politicians cannot sort out the rights of UK citizens living in the EU and EU citizens living here -- something that they promised as soon as negotiations began -- then what makes you imagine that they will be able to sort out flights, or anything even remotely complicated?

The operation of a holiday flight and linked hotel stay overseas for the OPs trip in May 2019 will not be impacted by Brexit at least as far as aviation and flying.

If it is I’ll knit your Flying Spaghetti Monster into a hat and eat it. You provide the Bolognese.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    The operation of a holiday flight and linked hotel stay overseas for the OPs trip in May 2019 will not be impacted by Brexit at least as far as aviation and flying.

If it is I’ll knit your Flying Spaghetti Monster into a hat and eat it. You provide the Bolognese.

Neither you nor I can possibly know that...

Flights can only operate when a legal and regulatory framework is in place. The flights that currently link us with the rest of the EU depend upon a framework that will cease to exist at the end of March. We all hope and expect that a replacement will be put in place PDQ, but have no information on what progress has been made towards this objective.
  • Westin
    Options
    Several of those legal and regulatory aviation agreements have already been agreed including with the USA and Canada.

Feel very confident the EU airlines will wish to overfly our airspace and also would still want flights from the UK to land in their countries. Deals will be done. The world will not end.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Feel very confident the EU airlines will wish to overfly our airspace and also would still want flights from the UK to land in their countries. Deals will be done. The world will not end.

Now you are being logical... if we have learnt anything over the last couple of years, it is that logic and commonsense are poor guides to anything related to Brexit. Obviously it is in everyone's interests for this to happen, but that is no guarantee.

Incidentally, an end to flights would not be the end of the world.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    squiqqgles wrote: »
    I'd like to go ahead and book. We can't stop our life for this Brexit disaster but my husband is cautious.

Another case of Brexit paranoia. This really is a non-issue but if you are that worried book a holiday in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure