New electric heaters

Options
Hi,
I have recently replaced night storage electric heaters with modern thermostat controlled heaters.
I have an Economy 10 style meter, but this is no longer useful so I'd like to move to a standard meter.
So far, my supplier (Eon) has ignored my requests for this to happen; I've since read that they would require a payment to make the physical change.

I'd like to know if they can charge for this, and what is a reasonable charge?
Alternately, can I request a local electrician to do the work?
Is there anything else I should know about (relatively speaking)?

Thanks

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Changing your meter is not a job for your electrician.

Are these heaters made by F...... from Germany ? If so search this forum !
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nickbr73 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have recently replaced night storage electric heaters with modern thermostat controlled heaters.
    I have an Economy 10 style meter, but this is no longer useful so I'd like to move to a standard meter.
    So far, my supplier (Eon) has ignored my requests for this to happen; I've since read that they would require a payment to make the physical change.

Thanks

Overall either mistaken or conversely not true either on your part or EON's: You keep the same meter and they just change the day and night readings to the same price. This is confirmed by EON:
    What if I don’t want an Economy 7 or 10 meter?
    You can keep your Economy 7 or 10 meter but switch to a tariff with one rate, we’ll just charge both your day and night readings at the same price. You’ll still need to give us both readings.
    If you don’t want to give two sets of readings or want the meter changing to a single rate meter for any other reason, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
    Unless you’re getting a smart meter fitted, there’ll be a charge for non-faulty meter changes
    If you have electrical heating or hot water systems in your home you should always check with an electrician before having the meter exchanged, to make sure the new meter type is right for your home.
    https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/your-account/economy-7-and-10-meters

The conclusion is clear: If you want a standard meter and don't want to pay get a smart meter.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nickbr73 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

If you've read that the supplier will charge you for this change, I suspect they will charge you for this change; I'm surprised the literature you read indicating a charge would apply did not specify what that charge was.

I remember a few years back, Eon did NOT charge for change of meter from their E10/Heatwise to a standard meter
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=65806210&postcount=3

But if they have now started to charge based on it being a non-mandatory change, then the last price I can find they indicated was £64.76
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70962652&postcount=4

I'm sure a quick call to Eon will result in them being able to give definitive answers these and any further questions you may have on this matter :)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 December 2018 at 3:43PM
    Options
    Yes they can charge for a non essential meter change but as you are on a multi rate meter that is other than E7 with a supplier of over 50,000 customers you have the right to be charged at a single rate if you wish with no meter change and at no cost under The Energy Market Investigation (Restricted Meters) Order 2016.
  • Nickbr73
    Options
    No - made by Trust.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Changing your meter is not a job for your electrician.

Are these heaters made by F...... from Germany ? If so search this forum !

Neos, the same wonderous Ingredients just a different branding. requiring less energy to start the convection process by heating up faster and dispersing heat more quickly than steel. That in turn, creates a more efficient heating system that drives down your running costs.

- true heats up quicker but it cools down quicker so is self cancelling
    - a kW is a kW is a kW so it is not "more efficient heating system and not IMO cheaper running costs.

sigh .......
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neos, the same wonderous Ingredients just a different branding. requiring less energy to start the convection process by heating up faster and dispersing heat more quickly than steel. That in turn, creates a more efficient heating system that drives down your running costs.

- a kW is a kW is a kW so it is not "more efficient heating system and not IMO cheaper running costs.

sigh .......

Ah yes, but it's Neolithic Soap Stone - far more efficient than Snake Oil! :)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 December 2018 at 5:51PM
    Options
    Oh dear,

someone else who's going to get a nasty shock when the bills start rolling in.

It will take the same number of kwh to heat the place to the same temperature as before however these kwh will be costing significantly more that the off peak kwh

I'm always extremly suspicious when I see "magic" ingredients, amazing efficiency and worst of all that it needs a "consultant"* to come and survey before a price can be obtained.

* consultant = posh name for salesman
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • OPMDaze
    OPMDaze Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

sigh .......

25 years of warmth guaranteed :beer::beer: Nice of them :A
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    B13blues wrote: »
    25 years of warmth guaranteed :beer::beer: Nice of them :A

- what I, my mammy and grandPAR's had issued by the "corporation" in council housing 1945+

"""Our heaters run a five to six-minute cycle once the room has reached its target temperature, so they can deliver over 30 minutes of heat without any energy consumption"""

I'm going to reprogram the EEPROM to cycle an 'on delivery' every 2 to three minute so they can deliver deliver over 43 minutes of heat without any energy consumption - and people fall for it :rotfl:
    """ 25 years of warmth guaranteed """

That's the alloy not the electronics my friend
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure