Volunteer work in a hospital

Options
13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was initially surprised too when I first read about it but I think there is something in the DBS guidelines that allows it to work like that.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My brother works for an organisation called health protection Scotland as a data manager, he only ever sees data in a form where you can't identify individual patients (so as their CHI number) and yet even he has had an enhanced disclosure Scotland check to carry out his job.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SandraX wrote: »
    Thank you. I have no reason to disbelieve you but it could be incompetence on behalf of the management as all clerical work leads to access to the details of vulnerable people of all ages, I'm surprised.

I posted the same so Im kind of guessing its not incompetence
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2018 at 9:45AM
    Options
    I currently volunteer in 2 roles in a large Hospitals Trust. DBS checks are carried out on all volunteers in the trust before the are allocated a role. Things seem to differ in other trusts.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    My brother works for an organisation called health protection Scotland as a data manager, he only ever sees data in a form where you can't identify individual patients (so as their CHI number) and yet even he has had an enhanced disclosure Scotland check to carry out his job.

Around where I live, anything and almost every thing needs a police check.
    I think the law was changed a few years ago if you had a minor crime conviction and small fine and it was spent, you don't need to declare it.

I still can't think of one signly job or volunteer job that does not need some kind of police check.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    People have given you many examples above where they haven’t needed one. It comes down to the employer, the role, the department.

There are very specific guidelines that govern when an employer should seek a DBS, they can’t just randomly decide “oh you look suspicious I’ll check you”.

Whatever crime an individual commuted, as long as it is eligible to become spent and it has done it never needs declaring. Obviously this would come to light if a DBS was part of the recruitment process for that particular job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure