We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Management company buying our house
Comments
-
The £26,500 is - I guess - the equity you'll have left once the mortgage is paid off from the sale? Never mind that... If you don't complete on your sale, will your lender even give you a second mortgage?
Breaking the chain is all well and good, but can you actually afford to own two properties simultaneously? What happens if you don't find another buyer for six months?
Today's Thursday. Tuesday is three business days away, Wednesday is four. That's it. Your seller's not going to run away from the deal for the sake of a few days.0 -
The £26,500 is - I guess - the equity you'll have left once the mortgage is paid off from the sale? Never mind that... If you don't complete on your sale, will your lender even give you a second mortgage?
Breaking the chain is all well and good, but can you actually afford to own two properties simultaneously? What happens if you don't find another buyer for six months?
Today's Thursday. Tuesday is three business days away, Wednesday is four. That's it. Your seller's not going to run away from the deal for the sake of a few days.
The £26500 is the deposit we'll be liable for on our purchase. We couldn't afford the new property if our buyers were to pull out so they would either have to wait for us to find a new buyer or we'd owe them £26500. The only other option they've given us is to complete and exchange next Friday.0 -
Don't forget that exchanging sets the completion date, and makes you contractually liable for any costs arising from your failure to complete...mai_taylor wrote: »We couldn't afford the new property if our buyers were to pull out so they would either have to wait for us to find a new buyer or we'd owe them £26500.
It could get VERY expensive if your buyer decides not to.0 -
Would not dream of exchanging on a purchase before a sale :eek: Massive risk - not 'tiny'. Not sure why your solicitor is underplaying it.2024 wins: *must start comping again!*0
-
Do NOT exchange on your purchase before your sale.0
-
We're not exchanging on purchase before sale we're exchanging both on the same day but our buyers won't have the funds until the next day. The solicitor has now said this isn't an issue and it would be the same problem if the buyers were to back out of the sale after exchange. We'd still owe the sellers the deposit.0
-
Ah. That's different then.2024 wins: *must start comping again!*0
-
Ah. That's different then.
Does this sound OK then. Basically if they pull out after exchange we'd be in the same position so I wasn't really sure why the solicitor was pointing it out to us. We still have to wait for the sellers to agree to exchange without us having the deposit from our buyers.0 -
It sounds PROBABLY OK now.
When you exchange contracts on a purchase, you take on an immediate liability that is usually 10% of the purchase price. Should you pull out of the contract, you owe that much to the vendor. It is also customary to immediately pay that amount, and therefore only pay the remaining 90% on completion - however, it is also quite common to pay less than this at exchange. E.g. if person A is buying for £200K from person B, and person B is buying for £250K from person C, person A will generally pay the £20K deposit on exchange to person B, but person B will typically agree with person C to just pass that £20K along rather than faff about adding an extra £5K on top. If person B pulled out of buying from person C, however, they'd still owe that extra £5K.
So, your potential issues are twofold. Firstly, you need to either agree with your own vendor's solicitors that your deposit money will ALSO be late, or you need to stump up the entire amount yourself for a day before your buyer repays you. Secondly, in the incredibly unlikely event that your buyer pulls out after exchange but before paying you the deposit, you'll then have to sue them for it rather than having it safely in your hands already.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards