DRO and Natwest account help!?!

Hi
I have been going through the process for a DRO, as I had a barclaycard debt I was advised to change my bank account away from Barclays just in case. I switched last month to a Natwest Select account which has been fine. My DRO is due to be submitted this/next week and now been reading horror stories about Natwest closing/down grading/freezing accounts as they go through all the people who get a DRO??? Please can someone help?? The select account is free but does have a contactless card. I thought I was coming to the end of the stress and was ‘safe’ with my new account?!?! Can anyone help?

Thank you xx

Comments

• Sjtyler
    Sjtyler Posts: 14 Forumite
    Can anyone advise??
  • They will probably downgrade your account to a Foundation Account - a basic account that you will still be able to do Direct Debits however you won't have a contactless card it will be a chip & pin debit card, you'll still be able to pay in shops etc. just not contactless.

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/foundation_account.html

You will only have a £10 emergency overdraft facility if the money isn't in your account you won't go any further overdrawn and Direct Debits will not be honoured but will not incur charges.

With a DRO you will be on the Insolvency Register so all banks will remove any access to credit such as an overdraft due to that.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,487 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    That's already a fairly basic account. You're likely to lose any overdraft facility you have - other than that you shouldn't have any problems assuming you have no other debts to the Nat West group.
  • Sjtyler
    Sjtyler Posts: 14 Forumite
    I have no debts with them and no overdraft
  • fatbelly
    Sjtyler wrote: »
    I have no debts with them and no overdraft

I think you'll be OK. The worst that might happen is you lose your contactless card for an old-school one as Toxteth says. Bit pointless of them to do that really.
  • When I was setting up my DRO, I switched to a HSBC basic bank account - I still have access to contactless.

Sounds stupid, but one of my biggest issues when I was looking for a new bank was that some banks give you a debit card which says something along the lines of basic account on it at the top.

I'm a paranoid person and felt people would make the connection if they saw my card in shops etc :o . The HSBC basic account debit card looks exactly like the one given to current account users and would fully recommend (that is if you don't have debts with HSBC)

- Rue
  • fatbelly
    Maybe being a bit over-sensitive there, but I agree that banks, usually good at dressing their products up - put little effort into their basic accounts. This is the list - take your pick:

Barclays - Basic Current Account
    Santander - Basic Current Account
    NatWest/Ulster Bank/RBS - Foundation Account
    HSBC - Basic Bank Account
    Nationwide - FlexBasic
    Co-operative Bank - Cashminder
    Lloyds/Halifax/Bank of Scotland - Basic Account
    TSB - Cash Account
    Clydesdale/Yorkshire - Readycash Account
    Virgin Money - Essential Current Account
    Metro Bank - Cash Account
    The Co-operative Bank - Cashminder