Sky

Options
Hi
I’m looking advice on how to connect another Sky box to another TV in another room. I don’t want to pay for multi room or Sky Q. I also don’t want cable running over the place.

I had thought about SkyGo, but it won’t let me connect to the tv via HDMI. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Short of sticking another dish and cable run up or subscribing to Sky Multiroom there isn't really another choice if you don't want cable everywhere. There did use to be a "Magic Eye" device but this only worked on the RF output device which was ultimately dropped on the last revision of Sky+HD.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The magic eye device wouldn't let you watch different channels, anyway.
    If it must be Sky and you want to watch different channels, and not pay, and not have any wiring, I think you're out of luck.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you only want the Entertainment channels a Now TV sub via internet?? Cheaper than multiroom sub.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m looking advice on how to connect another Sky box to another TV in another room. I don’t want to pay for multi room
    Yep, sorry, that's literally what Multi Room is. As above, if you've got the aerial cables around the house already, and if it's Sky HD we're talking about, you can broadcast from your ONE box around the house, as an analogue TV channel - I have this on 2 TVs - quality's not great but it works - have a Magic Eye under the TV and you can control the Sky box too. But you only have one box, and only one person can use it. No extra sub to pay though.

If you went to Sky Q, you'd need the more expensive box, and get a secondary box, but again, there's a subscription to pay.

You don't think Sky give you things for free, do you?!

If you can specify what channels you need in the other room, and if you can go without Sky channels, you can save some money, but Now TV as above might be a good shout.
    I had thought about SkyGo, but it won’t let me connect to the tv via HDMI

Again, they deliberately block you from doing this.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do this, works fine.

Earlier sky boxes had a rf2 output on the back , just needs a magic eye , later boxes had I/O outputs , needs an adapter and a magic eye . All available cheaply off eBay
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    SkyGO Extra can be used through an Xbox (360 or One) / Playstation (3 or 4) console.

It has to be the SkyGo extra not the standard SkyGo.

Dependent on how long you have been with Sky it might be possible to get SkyGo extra as part of their Sky VIP perks.

If you don't have a console you should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply (Xbox 360's / Playstation 3).

Bonus is if there's nothing you fancy watching on telly you can have a quick blast of a game!
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure