IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Court attendance - advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• stjon1954
    Options
    Thanks all. Will do
  • stjon1954
    Options
    I just thought an update might be timely.

1. The case has been moved from Wigan (which we requested) to Preston. I don't know why, but I've not bothered to question it because we've decided not to attend in person.
    2. We have a date! 27th March.
    3. The case has been allocated to the 'small claims track'. I assume this is standard procedure.
    4. The claimant (HX Car Park Management Ltd.) has to pay a trial fee of £55. Again, I assume this is standard procedure.

So now we need to prepare a Witness Statement!
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2019 at 4:13PM
    Options
    we've decided not to attend in person.

I would strongly advise you to attend, and also ask again for the case to be heard at Wigan CC.

The whole industry is a scam, relying on threats of court, and the public's ignorance of the Law, A bill is currently before parliament which will regulate the scammers, many of whom are ex-clampers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Second Reading in the Lords this month, and, with a fair wind, will l become Law later this year..

All five readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 7-8 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    this is HX and ES and indeed was ANPRs tramping ground , you should insist on home court (if you were to fight this) ,
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not attending makes it more likely you will lose the case.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure