IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Not got a clue!

Hi folks I’m very new to all this but wondered if anyone else has experienced the same and how to appeal.
I received a pcn from Highview Parking stating that I had parked in a car park for a period of 12 minutes and not paid any parking fee. This is true but I had forgotten my purse and debit card so had no means to pay. I tried to load an app to do it but couldn’t so drive away. I now have a pcn for £85. and also as it is a lease vehicle a charge of £15. from the lease company for forwarding the letter and providing highview with my details. Is there anything I can do please, all help will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Replies

• edited 30 November 2018 at 3:48PM
    MistyZMistyZ Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 November 2018 at 3:48PM
    There most certainly are things to do, in fact this would seem to be the easiest parking 'situation' to contest. Start by reading the Newbies' thread advice on hire cars, scroll down till you find 'COMPANY, LEASE OR HIRE CARS ANYWHERE IN THE UK'.

You need to give us dates of the parking event and receipt of the postal PCN. And probably other things, but that's a start.

Oh ... and edit your post now to avoid identifying the driver, change to: 'the driver' had forgotten their purse, 'the driver' parked etc.
  • edited 30 November 2018 at 4:10PM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    55.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2018 at 4:10PM
    As above, edit your post to remove information about who did what.

There are four entities with regards to a car involved here. The Driver, The Owner, The (day to day) Keeper, and The Registered Keeper. As far as the law is concerned these are four different people.

The lessee is The day to day Keeper, or The Keeper, so that is who appeals.

The lease company can only give details of the lessee to the scammers, not driver as this is not in their knowledge.
    The DVLA only hold registered keeper details, which is presumably the lease co in this instance.

Next step as already advised is to get stuck into the NEWBIES and then send the lease/hire car appeal you will find there.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Sorry how do I edit am trying to click in edit button but going to initial post!
  • KeithPKeithP Forumite
    31.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lorac1962 wrote: »
    Sorry how do I edit am trying to click in edit button but going to initial post!
    Others have reported difficulties with editing using a mobile telephone.

Use another device that has a more user friendly interface.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    It is the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business. Hopefully that will take place in the near future. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers. Read this one which I wrote earlier

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Please don't try to use this huge and detailed forum of tend of thousands of threads, on a phone. Unbelievable that people try.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals