Help with Universal Credit

Hi

I am looking for some advice about my benefits.

I am currently receiving Universal Credit (LCWRA) and PIP (Enhanced Daily Living) which has been working out well since I’ve been living at home with my mum.

I have just been offered a the flat directly above where I am currently living. However, I was incorrectly told that I would be able to get severe disability premium when i moved because I would be living on my own, which would cover the aprox. £200 a month difference between me living at home and living alone.

Ive just found out that this is not the case! Which means I most likely wont be able to make the move, which has been heavily supported by my psychiatrist, I was actually sexually assulted in the room i currently sleep in and have failed to be able to work well in therapy as I dont consider home to be a safe place, to the point that living there is causing me damage.

Is it possible for me to claim new style ESA to replace the LCWRA element of my universal credit so I can then claim the disability permium?

Ive been on UC for nearly 3 years (LCWRA for 2 years) I live in a fully live UC area

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChazDL wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for some advice about my benefits.

I am currently receiving Universal Credit (LCWRA) and PIP (Enhanced Daily Living) which has been working out well since I’ve been living at home with my mum.

I have just been offered a the flat directly above where I am currently living. However, I was incorrectly told that I would be able to get severe disability premium when i moved because I would be living on my own, which would cover the aprox. £200 a month difference between me living at home and living alone.

Ive just found out that this is not the case! Which means I most likely wont be able to make the move, which has been heavily supported by my psychiatrist, I was actually sexually assulted in the room i currently sleep in and have failed to be able to work well in therapy as I dont consider home to be a safe place, to the point that living there is causing me damage.

Is it possible for me to claim new style ESA to replace the LCWRA element of my universal credit so I can then claim the disability permium?

Ive been on UC for nearly 3 years (LCWRA for 2 years) I live in a fully live UC area
    It won't be possible to claim the SDP while claiming UC or New Style contributions based ESA. The premiums don't exist on UC and you can't be paid them while claiming Contributions based benefits either.
    13.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would of course be able to claim the housing element of UC if you have a tenancy agreement in your name for the flat you've been offered.
  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You would of course be able to claim the housing element of UC if you have a tenancy agreement in your name for the flat you've been offered.

OP - Good point from poppy.
    See https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-housing-costs-tenants/Who-can-get-Universal-Credit-housing-costs-element

And you should be able to claim Council Tax reduction from your local council.
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Philli2Philli2 Forumite
    11 Posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    I have waited over 4 months to receive a payment from U/C and have told me there is no back monies due to me since I was taken off ESA.
    13.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philli2 wrote: »
    I have waited over 4 months to receive a payment from U/C and have told me there is no back monies due to me since I was taken off ESA.
    It would have been better if you had posted your own thread with your question, posting on the end of someone else's post can get confusing.

Can you give some more information. Why were you taken off ESA, were you found fit for work? When did you start your claim for UC?
    11 Posts
    Sorry Poppy first time poster! Taken off ESA 29/07/18 found fit for work? challenged the decision now awaiting tribunal.
    U/C claims started on 04/08/18. First payment due 10/12/18.
    Currently on PIP standard rate, my wife receives carers allowance, she retired in July 2018.
  • pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philli2 wrote: »
    Sorry Poppy first time poster! Taken off ESA 29/07/18 found fit for work? challenged the decision now awaiting tribunal.
    U/C claims started on 04/08/18. First payment due 10/12/18.
    Currently on PIP standard rate, my wife receives carers allowance, she retired in July 2018.

it would be useful to have some dates.

Your wife retired in July 2018. Was she working full time until then and has only started claiming Carer's Allowance since she retired or was she only working part time and claiming CA?

Am trying to work out why your UC payment has taken such a long time. Is it because your wife received some money from her job during the months of August/September/October or you had savings over £16000 or some other income?

Is your ESA contribution based?
    11 Posts
    My wife has not worked since July 2017 she worked part time at the local school for over 20 years. She claimed Carers allowance when I was awarded PIP in March of this year.

No money was received from her job and we had no savings collectively.

My ESA awarded in March this year was contribution based levied at £114 p/wk from March until it was reduced in May to £84 p/wk when my wife received her Carers allowance.
    My ESA was due to be raised to £244 p/wk in July 9earnings related).
    When my wife retired on the 7th it was reduced to £222.20 paid for one fortnight then stopped on the 29/07/18 as I failed ESA assessment which taken on 06/07/18.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides