Cutting hours due to health and benefits?

Options
Just needing some advice please.

I work full time, 37.5 hrs a week but I'm thinking of possibly cutting down my hours to 22.5 due to my health. I have long term, chronic conditions and fall under the disability act. I've tried for a long time now to carry on, but it's not helping and I'm having more and more health issues.

My wife is on ESA support group for her disability, and is on contribution based but that is all she gets. I then have my wage.

If I was to cut down my hours due to my health, am I allowed to claim anything as it was voluntary? Any help or support would be great as I don't know what we'd be entitled to, have tried the benefit calculator but because my wife was earning last year it's confusing me.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Has your wife tried to claim PIP?
  • hbp2008
    hbp2008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, she's been refused and is now going to tribunal. She has a mental illness and had to give up her career earlier this year.

Just at a loss. I can't keep working as much as I am with my health the way it is, but using the benefits calculator if I dropped from 5 days to 3, even if I was to get some kind of top up, we're still 200+ short for basic bills and living.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Do you claim PIP?
  • hbp2008
    hbp2008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    No, I tried back in 2017 but was refused at tribunal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure