Halifax's 'Prize Draw' - Likelihood of winning?

Options
2»

Comments

• triplea35
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I have (and still am) considering the Marcus account, although I am currently weighing up my opportunities.
    For one, I'm not sure if to reinvest the £3600 into the FD regular saver again for the 5% interest next year. Or try and start a fresh so that it's knocking on for £6k/£7k next year!

I've just bought a property and will soon be paying a mortgage and bills. I am hoping I can still afford to put a side £250 - £300 per month into something like this with these contributions! :j

It would take a whole year to get the £3600 reinvested in the FD Reg Saver.
    I would suggest putting it in the likes of Marcus and setting up a new FD regular saver. Any months you cannot fully afford the monthly contribution just transfer what is required back from Marcus into your current account to cover it..
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    triplea35 wrote: »
    It would take a whole year to get the £3600 reinvested in the FD Reg Saver.
    I would suggest putting it in the likes of Marcus and setting up a new FD regular saver. Any months you cannot fully afford the monthly contribution just transfer what is required back from Marcus into your current account to cover it..

And Marcus is fully FCA backed and everything?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    And Marcus is fully FCA backed and everything?
    It's not difficult to check this sort of thing out at their website, unsurprisingly https://www.marcus.co.uk, where the footer of every page states:
    Marcus by Goldman Sachs® is a registered trademark and trading name of Goldman Sachs International Bank. Goldman Sachs International Bank is registered in England and Wales (no. 1122503), authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Our Financial Services Register number is 124659.
    although you're probably really looking for the FSCS status:
    Your eligible deposits with Goldman Sachs International Bank are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the UK's deposit guarantee scheme.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    It's not difficult to check this sort of thing out at their website, unsurprisingly https://www.marcus.co.uk, where the footer of every page states:although you're probably really looking for the FSCS status:

I have viewed their website before but just wanted to double check on here!
  • TriggerHappy
    Options
    Not really the same thing but a friend of mine was lucky at Barclays years ago when they had raffle of sorts whereby you could win the amount of any loan you took.

He'd recently started to receive cheques from an inheritance which he'd had in trust, he was getting £25k per month for 5 years (I'd say lucky sod but his mum had died when he was very young and it was insurance from that).

He didn't take any financial advice and started doing stupid things, just "because" - one of those things being taking a loan out at Barclays for £30k. He'd been paying back for 2 months when he won!

He repaid the loan and bought his girlfriend (of about three weeks who had previously hated him but suddenly changed her mind for "some reason") an antique diamond ring for £10k...

So even if a plonker like him can have a bit of luck then there is hope for the rest of us too! Haha :)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ^ 'Trigger' and 'plonker' in the same post, given the rest of the thread it's only a matter of time before someone wheels out the "this time next year we'll be millionaires" quote! ;)
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    ^ 'Trigger' and 'plonker' in the same post, given the rest of the thread it's only a matter of time before someone wheels out the "this time next year we'll be millionaires" quote! ;)

You must be thinking of a Bitcoin thread ;)

If only John Sullivan were still with us and there could be one last Christmas special though, perhaps with Del and Rodney planning the ICO for PeckhamCoin.
  • ovusa
    ovusa Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Halifax prize draw - website frequently asked questions
    Can I see a list of winners?
    Yes, you can ask for a list of the winners for the last 6 months in any of our branches.

Recently called in at my local branch and spoke to a member of staff, asked if I could see the list of winners. Received a blank look and was asked to repeat my question - she had no clue about the list and said she was only the assistant manager (!) She said she has never seen the list and would have to make enquiries and phone me. She never called me so I went in again and spoke to a different member of staff - I received the same blank look, she has never seen the list!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure