Sainsbury credit direct debit issue

Hi

I don’t know if anyone has ever had this issue or has any advice on how to resolve it but I have a credit card with Sainsbury’s, which I’ve had many issues with to say the least, but here’s the latest.
In October I asked them to set up a new direct debit for a set amount, the account to pay it from was the same as before (to cut a long story short they told me to cancel and set it up again) so I was told by the guy on the phone he had set it up to start in November. I’ve just been notified today that it was returned by my bank due to insufficient funds, I’ve rang my bank and they have confirmed that there was definitely enough money there to pay it and actually the direct debit was cancelled the day it was set up because Sainsbury’s used an old reference number for the direct debit. Sainsbury’s are saying the reference number will never change because it’s the account number.

The returned direct debit has now gone on my credit file as late but I don’t know who’s at fault for me to complain to to resolve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If the decline was today, then payment won't be counted as late if you make a faster payments transfer today.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The thing is both parties are right, CC tend to use the a/c number as a reference so it wouldn't change and if you told your bank to cancel the DD they would have rejected the second. That said it would have come back as part of the returns process and sainsburys could have notified you.

Why did they ask you to cancel with your bank - was payment imminent, would you have had insufficient funds. Just if not Sainsburys would have simply issued a replacement mandate.

When setting up a DD it is always advisable to make alternative payment arrangements, they usually say that on their website too, in T&C.

You could make a complaint as they can look back at calls and if incorrect advice was given they could remove the marker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure