Credit Club - Online card eligibility checker - 10/10 - rejected

Not sure how to go about working out who to contact to raise an issue with Credit Club - first a little background. I'm an ex-bankrupt from 2013 - and have been diligently working towards improving my status in recent years. I currently have a Vanquis card with a 2k limit - balance intermittently moves from zero to around a hundred pounds - paid off in full whenever it's used - and a Capital one card with a £300 limit - again used every so often, and fully paid by direct debit. (Haven't paid a penny in interest on either). As a result of my past I am very, very, very careful as to how I go about getting a larger credit footprint - so some time ago I signed up to the Credit Club - and it's been quite useful to see my full credit report monthly - have corrected a number of issues, and all in all it's a decent service.

My issue is that recently I tried the credit card eligibility checker for 'bad credit cards' - just to see how I might fare. The results came up - and the Aqua card by Newday showed that I got a 10/10 guaranteed acceptance, and all I had to do was confirm my details, and then submit my application. Now as you can imagine, I was a little wary, as I know any hard credit search (once I press apply) would result in a permanent mark in my credit record - but seeing as it was a 10/10, and on the next screen it told me I was pre-approved, I decided to check my details (which were correct) and hit submit.

Instead of receiving the 'Welcome to Aqua' message - or whatever you might get - I was presented with another screen that said ' We need to take a closer look at your application' - therefore - 10/10 guaranteed acceptance and pre-approved don't tally up with the actual application.

Now I haven't spoken to Newday yet - but I imagine that they'll say something along the lines of 'well we can't tell you why - it's just that we've decided to reject your application'. (I am the first to admit that having a bankrupcty on my record isn't great - but that's very much history now).

My issue is that Credit Club says 10/10 - Aqua themselves say pre-approved - and then on the application being completed - it gets turned down, when all info is correct, and nothing is hidden.

I know I'm not the only one in this 'recovery mode' across the country - where we are fighting to get ourselves back on track financially. I actually don't need the credit card - but I do want the credit record. I've tried to find a way to contact Credit Club - but can't seem to find a way to do so. They should be the first port of call, as they gave me the initial 10/10 - and I imagine that they need to take the issue up with Newday (Aqua) to work out what's gone wrong.

It's hard enough recovering from a financial disaster - it doesn't help when you get told things like 10/10 and pre-approved - just to be knocked back again, and have a redundant search sitting on your file.

Would anyone have a contact to raise this issue with Credit Club? Or suggest alternative courses of action?

accept.jpg

reject1.jpg

sb9QFG0
An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!

Comments

• It sounds likely that you will be accepted.

Wait for the final decision, but there is always the chance of rejection when performing the final hard search, following the less extensive soft search.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    In a sense it is a game of wait and see - but 10/10 and 'pre-approved' should mean just that. Otherwise it should be 9/10 and 'almost approved we just need to check a few things out' :) I will wait and see - but if it is rejected I want to be ready with a way to challenge the process. (As I say I don't 'need' the card - and actually don't really want the card - other than it gives me an opportunity to add an account to the credit file that I can spend a little and fully pay back monthly - and for no other reason).
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    cymruchris wrote: »
    In a sense it is a game of wait and see - but 10/10 and 'pre-approved' should mean just that. Otherwise it should be 9/10 and 'almost approved we just need to check a few things out' :) I will wait and see - but if it is rejected I want to be ready with a way to challenge the process. (As I say I don't 'need' the card - and actually don't really want the card - other than it gives me an opportunity to add an account to the credit file that I can spend a little and fully pay back monthly - and for no other reason).

You haven't been declined though.

You'll have a point if they decline you but honestly I wouldn't bother taking it further. There's better things you can be doing with your life.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I’ve been Pre approved and then referred. The application was approved a few days later. I wouldn’t worry.
  • You’ve not been rejected.
    Or accepted.

If you’re rejected there’s nothing you can do to “fix things” other than ask for another application review.

You won’t get the search removed from your files or any compensation so there’s nothing really to challenge.

You’ve already admitted you don’t need the card so just move on and try another lender in a few months time.

The eligibility checkers are really best effort and are based on a soft search not a full search with more in-depth checks.

The search also isn’t a permanent mark and is removed within 12-24 months dependant on the CRA.
  • cymruchris
    Just to update the thread - and to thank people for their replies. The card was eventually approved - and a starting credit limit of £450 applied. So that's another step in the right direction!
  • As an ex-bankrupt myself, I would be wary about getting credit cards, The temptation is always there.
  • Dettol
    Dettol Posts: 28 Forumite
    It sounds likely that you will be accepted.

Wait for the final decision, but there is always the chance of rejection when performing the final hard search, following the less extensive soft search.

Thats correct..this 100% pre approved at the rate you can see is only based on whats projected on your credit file.

It does state that its based on facts displayed..once they do a further check they can and do find things that will lead to rejection,ive had this happen previously.

Oddly i was then accepted by a high street bank for there credit card at a much lower % (6.9% life of the card) and a pretty decent limit (decent in my eyes).

Its great the OP was accepted and hopefully over time they can move away from sub prime cards and get a better deal...just dont assume the pre-approved guarantee will always work,its a bit like the "Last few days of the huge discount sale at SCS ,grab that £5000 sofa for just £1299 hurry deal ends soon"...yet its runs for another 6 months and when it ends the sofa is still £1299" ;):rotfl:
  • cymruchris
    As an ex-bankrupt myself, I would be wary about getting credit cards, The temptation is always there.

It's not really about temptation for me... I had a business crash that led to my previous experience - so am happy to manage personal credit sensibly - and to be able to get another mortgage in future - I want to ensure there's at least a pattern of credit history on file... I won't be applying for a mortgage any time soon - but in a few years - maybe. And by then I hope to have a good pattern of history, and all the previous bad stuff will have dropped off the file (most of it is already gone!) We all have to recover one way or another from such a financial shock to the system :) Hope you're doing ok yourself !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure