PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 January 2019 at 4:52PM
    Options
    GreyQueen, tackle fettled & ready to go?
    Since it will be precisely 461 years since we lost it on Jan 7th 2019, I propose to recapture it for Britannia on that date.
    Or did we decide that we were not minded to annoy mardatha, particularly while she was already busy
    upto our eyeballs in joiners and plasterers and electricians and a very miffed cat
    plus MrsLW was in the middle of a house move (although the Zebra child deploying a strategic Lego caltrop remains a delightful image when under pressure)
    I think the appliance herding, microgreens & sheer rain then rather took over.

Hear hear - the very short shrift is the right response to All Who Had The Opportunity & Chose Not To.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Dammit, it would happen to coincide with me having pulled some muscles in my right shoulder and being signed off from archery until they heal. It's so bad taking a jumper off is an exercise in pain.

Would you mind awfully if we let the French keep Calais for another month?:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I think it's worth mentioning that there was no accusation of stockpiling on the Preparing for Brexit thread.

It was just someone with a genuine question - there was no other agenda.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    GQ take the good arm off first, then ease the sore arm sleeve downwards towards the floor.
    Ok, no don't take yr good arm off. Just the jumper sleeve onnit pet.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I personally dont give a boogger what people call it. I am buying more tins for my store cupboard and that is that. I'm not being stuck up here miles from a shop and not well enough to trek round shops, without a decent stash of food in. ;)
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    GQ take the good arm off first, then ease the sore arm sleeve downwards towards the floor.
    Ok, no don't take yr good arm off. Just the jumper sleeve onnit pet.
    :D I've decided to use my CommonSense and wear a cardi/ my beloved fleece weskit. The latter article, a cott0n tr@ders number from a charity shop, represents the best value of anything I've ever bought clothing-wise. Cost 50p back in Dec 2014 and I virtually live in it for months at a time.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It does actually come down to choice when it comes to deciding to prepare or not. I chose to use our pension in a way that makes sense to me, I try to find offers, bargains, YS items if they fit the food plan and any housekeeping left at the end of the week because I've managed to find any of the above is used to make an 'investment' in my eyes to the stock cupboard. I find ingredient items and buy them ahead of my need of them knowing I will need them in the weeks to come it is common sense to me as prices are continually on the rise and nothing is ever cheaper than it was the week before unless it hits the on offer etc. criteria. We don't go out to restaurants often,we don't eat ready meals, junk food, takeaways except for the very occasional Chinese, we don't do pizzas fast food restaurants, we do occasionally have fish and chips so our food ingredient needs are basic everyday things that I cook from scratch and it's sense in my eyes to have spare packs in to use anyway, if an emergency or crisis occurs I know I've the wherewithal to keep us fed. How is this seen as stockpiling? and how can it be wrong for any reason to make sure you'll eat?
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with every word of your post Mrs LW. That's how we choose to live too.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) In my poorest days, I virtually lived on sardines. They were 24p a can in the 1980s and they're 36p a can today in Liddly over 30 years later. I think that represents excellent value for money; great quality protein, tastiness, long shelf-life, stackability, even.

I have some slack in my housekeeping budget now, whereas I have not always been in that happy position, although I always had a few cans of sardines to hand. I choose to spave with the extra cash, which saves me money down the road. Other people might choose to buy some unnecessary but delightful consumable item. Or to put it into a piggy bank for the grandchilder, or buy a couple of extra bits for the food bank collection point.

The great thing about this habit is that it hurts no one. If there is no interruption to the food supply, all that we're doing is bringing forward our purchasing. And since we're probably always going to be preptastic, we'll forward-spend to restock our cupboards. Thus not subjecting retailers to unexpected drop-offs in demand.

If things do go pear-shaped (and that's the last thing I want to happen btw) we who have a storecupboard have removed ourselves from being part of the problem, thus freeing up limited supplies for others. This will benefit others who think we're nutjobs, whether they know it or not.:rotfl:

I'm quietly confident that the magic of the free market will suffice to get around the incompetance of the political classes. None of the supermarkets wants to see their shelves empty and their customers queuing to get into their rivals' stores. The big chains almost certainly have brighter buttons working on their logistics and planning sides than those who've taken Westminster's shilling.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anyone bought any drill bits recently?

OMG, how expensive, when bought singly? :eek:

I needed a 9.5mm HSS bit, but they didn't have one in stock, so I was about to buy a 10mm, for nearly £10.

Then I spotted a set of 25 drill bits (same brand - Erbauer, same type - TiN), sizes ranging from 1mm to 13 mm (with several fractional sizes, including the 9.5mm I was looking for), for £22, so I bought the set instead.

That's 25 drill bits, for less than 2.5 times the price of a single 10mm one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure