PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I gather some original vintage lovelies have an engraved 'linenfold' pattern on the top front panels which looks glorious (something like this). I will be watching out for one now, cedar lined or not, as we can Do Things with oils.

I find the existence of the moth is something that flummoxes my child-like faith in divine omniscience...
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Oooh, DFV, glad to hear you are ok... and them's wise words about eating when you need to - and drinking, especially drinking - says she who accidentally murdered the family's much-loved Estima whilst driving when hungry & far too tired...

Also shuddering at the thought of moths, especially as a spinner & weaver! I do my best, but the blighters get in somehow...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 June 2019 at 6:22AM
    Oooh, DFV, glad to hear you are ok... and them's wise words about eating when you need to - and drinking, especially drinking - says she who accidentally murdered the family's much-loved Estima whilst driving when hungry & far too tired...

Also shuddering at the thought of moths, especially as a spinner & weaver! I do my best, but the blighters get in somehow...
    :eek: I used to assist with looking afterwhat was believed to be the 3rd largest collection of historical costumes in the whole of Europe. Some of the pieces were the proper orignal garments (i.e. not modern replicas) from 200-300 years ago. If you wanna see a wardrobe mistress or wardrobe master go white, mention clothes moths!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :eek: I used to assist with looking afterwhat was believed to be the 3rd largest collection of historical costumes in the whole of Europe. Some of the pieces were the proper orignal garments (i.e. not modern replicas) from 200-300 years ago. If you wanna see a wardrobe mistress or wardrobe master go white, mention clothes moths!

Scary! Did you pick up any moth-prevention tips?

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you think cedar essential oil would work to keep the moths away?
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • DigForVictory
    I’m using it for that, and over 12 months it’s been OK but I plan to get youngest, away doing work experience in a museum, to ask what they use...
  • GreyQueen
    I’m using it for that, and over 12 months it’s been OK but I plan to get youngest, away doing work experience in a museum, to ask what they use...
    :eek: Clothes moths are also attracted to taxidermy, so if you have any stuffed critters or birdies in your baronial halls (ooo-err missus) do keep an eye on them.

Pip, it was just making sure everything was put away as clean as possible. Garments (which were often not washable) were used with tacked in dress or suit protectors, which were washable shaped cotton pads tacked into the armpit area to soak up sweat and then removed between uses and laundered in washing machine. I get the horrors when I read of people putting clothing which has not been freshly laundered/ dry-cleaned into storage as that's a brilliant way to attract moths. I lean heavily on lavender essential oil myself, I like the smell and they don't.;)
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Have just done a bit of research on Moth Prevention and found this recipe from a woollen mill

1/2 cup dry lavender
    1/2 cup dry tansy
    1/2 cup dry mint
    1/2 cup dry pennyroyal
    1/4 cup whole cloves
    1/2 cup artemisia (wormwood)
    1/4 cup whole peppercorns
    2 tablespoons dry thyme
    2 tablespoons dry rosemary
    4 drops of lemon oil

Mix the dry herbs together, add the lemon oil and mix again. Put into an airtight container for a fortnight mixing occasionally and then use in sachets amongst stored clothes.

Hope it works but it should smell wonderful!
  • DigForVictory
    Lose the tansy, pennyroyal & artemisia, add a couple of pounds of tomatoes, simmer & serve over pasta.

Why limit yourself to minding the clothes when, since you have the herbs out anyway, you can sort the next meal (or sauces for several) at the same time?!

(I really Must load the dehydrator - the front garden of herbs is nearly my waist height & it all tastes stronger if it hasn't set seed...)
  • GreyQueen
    :) Quick word to the wise; pennyroyal is an abortificant and should not be used by or around pregnant women or pregnant animals. I've also known tansy to cause phyto-photo-dermatitis, which is where the sap gets on your skin and then reacts with sunlight to form very painful blistering.

It's the same thing as happens with giant hogweed and I've been badly blistered by this when removing bolted 2nd year parsnip plants, so please use gloves if harvesting tansy as a living plant.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills