NST December 2018 – Exterminate the debt!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
547 replies 39K views
apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
12.1K Posts
10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
[FONT=&quot]NST December 2018 – Exterminate the debt![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The turtles go in the TARDIS.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]:xmastree::xmassmile:xmastree::xmassmile:xmastree:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]December is the most horrific money swallowing month of the year and there are some serious demands surrounding us as we prepare. We are being bombarded by messages in every form telling us what we MUST buy for Christmas, what will make it magical and what will make it memorable. We are calling a halt to all this, giving ourselves the excuse to say NO and helping each other prepare for that new cleaner and clearer outlook for 2019.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So we are going on a jaunt. In the TARDIS.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In October we stopped alcohol, smoking or gobstoppers; in November we went to New York. And in December we are off to the stars. We set off on December 1st and keep travelling until the 31st.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Doctor Who[/FONT][FONT=&quot]– why the fuss and obsession? Well what it really comes down to is the balance of heart and fantasy. "Doctor Who" shows us that in spite of all that is terrible around us, all the scenarios that seem doomed, there's always another option, another way, and all it takes is a bit of brain power. And in a society as addled and volatile as our own sometimes is, isn't it nice to see a bit more humanity and compassion in the face of such potential chaos?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And it plays with history and our perception of how things were, are, and came to be. It's fun to have a little bit of, well, fun with the ideas of how and why our world came to be, really. And it reminds us that anything is possible and that even the tiniest among us are more important than we might think.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We have 2 main enemies: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- DALEKS [/FONT]are a power-hungry, obsessive race bent on controlling the universe at all costs[FONT=&quot]. They choose to exterminate anything that does not fit in with their idea on how the universe should be. I think that they are like the banks. However, they are foiled by stairs![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- CYBERMEN want to make everyone the same.[/FONT] They are intensely and dangerously single-minded, a race of cyborgs obsessed with "upgrading" people to be just like them. No emotion, no variability, all sameness. They are consumerism personified.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Like Dr Who, our weapon is our personalised sonic screwdriver. The Dr says: I love my sonic screwdriver. Doesn’t kill, doesn’t wound, doesn’t maim. But I’ll tell you what it does do: it’s very good at opening doors. We are here to get rid of debt and indebtedness, to open doors for ourselves and walk right through them. We are here to set ourselves free – financially, emotionally, mentally. Because we Turtles aren’t just here for the money side of things. We are here for each other. Always. No Turtle gets left behind.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How will the month pan out…? We have house rules![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ebt-free date / Mortgage-free date / Savings target date. What’s yours? What is your plan to get there? You don’t set off on a journey without knowing your destination and time-frame of travel. Apply the same to your money.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rganise your outgoings. Budget for the month. For e v e r y t h i n g. Write it down. And stick to it. Plan your meals – avoid waste. Batch cook. This is the most difficult month to plan for as everyone is feeding a different amount of people, budgeting differently and living in different areas with differing prices to deal with. You are an adult but this is about being honest and at least you will know you are not in this by yourself.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ount up to 15. Fifteen No Spend Days. That’s only every other day. Exempt from this are reduced sticker items, travel expenses, fuel, medicines, children’s activities/ window cleaners that are paid in cash randomly, and milk (greent).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]here is no such thing as an ordinary human.” So says The Doctor. You are unique and amazing. Treat yourself well. “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ne thousand days. More on this later as it’s a meaty one. Or a vegan sausage-y one. But definitely gluten and dairy free.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]R[/FONT][FONT=&quot]efrain from browsing your phone when nothing else is going on for the duration of the challenge. Waiting in line? Commercial break? At a red light? Be present in the moment. Be okay with “boredom.” Okay, okay: do try it for a week at least.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hat kind of month do you want for yourself? Take a moment and really ask. What activities do I want to enjoy? What seasonal foods do I want to take advantage of? What do I want to have the energy to take on? Where can I build more leisure into my week? How can I be outside as much as possible?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]H[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ere’s a space to make up your own rule for the month. Please share it![/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]utings. Drop one. Decide which one, inform those who need to know and enjoy the time and money you have just given yourself.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]S[/FONT][FONT=&quot]low living this month. In a month of manicness, make a clear intention to keep your schedule and pace in check. Because, really, does anyone want a hectic December?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]mm. Take care of your mental health. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]N[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o entry to any sales. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. Or any sales. Anywhere. It’s temptation you can’t handle to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME! Likewise, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]no[/FONT][FONT=&quot] takeaways, canteen meals (unless free), coffee shop or corner shop visits.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.” So says the Doctor. Be a dreamer. Be an optimist.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]andles - Switch to candles and firelight after dark (or the high-tech adjustable hue bulb equivalents). Plus, everyone likes a good fire. (But not so much that the fire brigade come to see you…) And switch off your tech an hour before going to bed please.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“S[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ome people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters. It’s the person.” “We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hase down more awe and joy. Go after it with a purpose. Go and enjoy the sparkly lights. Take a tour of your neighbourhood to look at other people’s outdoor decorations – and be smug about how you are not wasting your money like that. Go and seek Santa’s sleigh in the sky on Christmas Eve. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]R[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ead fiction before bed. Reading fiction gets you into the right state of mind for dreamland.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]xercise. Get 10,000 steps a day (or set your own target). Move a little more. Embrace the outdoors and enjoy the fresh air.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hat’s the point of being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes.” Go play. Go have fun. Laugh. Smile while you eat. Just because.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]on’t give up. Not ever. Not for one single day. Be safe if you can be. But always be amazing.” Pop on here every day and tell us what you’re up to. Not just the good stuff, but also the bad and the ugly too.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]R[/FONT][FONT=&quot]efuse to get sucked into guilt spending. Reject the mindset that needs to constantly acquire more (Now that is true Ferenghi, a whole other alien race)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot]dentify activities and people who drain you. Give yourself permission to take a break from them for 21 days (or as many days as possible) if you can. Just maybe this is a gift you should’ve given yourself a long time ago…?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]V[/FONT][FONT=&quot]isit your local area. Find new footpaths, see where a road or path takes you. Explore new horizons. Boldly go where no one has gone before. Oops, mixing my sci-fi….![/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]xterminate (see, we can learn from the DALEKS…) one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food. I shall be renouncing a particular game I play on my tablet that just sucks me in and takes hours of my time. And I have recently moved up a level, so it’s even harder to put down…![/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]R[/FONT][FONT=&quot]emember that you are blessed. Count your blessings daily. Be grateful for what you have. And remember those that have less – donate money, food, non-perishables, blankets to a charity that you want to support. Relish life, one day at a time.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Who is coming on the trip with me?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sign up below!
[/FONT]
NST July; NSD 14; Ex 17

Mortgage £300 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish

Replies

• edited 5 December 2018 at 10:22PM
    apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 December 2018 at 10:22PM
    Reserved for turtles:

1 apple muncher
    2 shabbychic12
    3 mothernerd
    4 misstara
    5 plumduff55
    6 greent
    7 sashanut
    8 Saving Glut
    9 Shrewbie
    10 Kerry Woman
    11 Wanna Bee Free
    12 Loz2018
    13 Toni'sfriend
    14 dolly84
    15 f0xh0les
    16 crazy_cat_lady
    17 the cross rabbit
    18 XSpender
    19 laurenh1
    20 *snow*white*
    21 chocolatelover93
    22 bizzie
    23 allie23
    24 LavenderBee
    25 MaisieM
    26 GlendaSugarbean
    27 Karmacat
    28 Moneybutterfly35
    29 The Only Girl
    30 thriftylass
    31 SpekySquarehead
    32 pinkypig
    33 x_raphael_xx
    NST July; NSD 14; Ex 17

Mortgage £300 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • shabbychic12shabbychic12 Forumite
    219 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I'm in please, last one of the year. Things would hv been a lot harder here if l hadn't joined the previous months. Just joining made me more mindful even if l didn't mange all the goals set. Thank you to everyone. Xx
    Count down to retirement July 2022 now or never to save.
  • mothernerdmothernerd Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love you apple. Best Christmas present ever. Please let me join in
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Feb No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • misstaramisstara Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Count me in :D
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Debt Feb 2020: Credit card - £607.09. Now £0
    Car - £4992.88. Now £2643.76 (47% paid)
    Emergency fund - £1000/£1000. Car fund - £1000/£1000.
    Flat deposit - £850/£15000 (5.7% saved).
  • plumduff55plumduff55 Forumite
    591 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭
    In for a penny - in for a pound :A
    Add me please xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love it :) - I'm in! :D x

Allons y!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £289.72/£500 Decluttering 2021: 850/1000
  • sashanutsashanut Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Count me in Please :j
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Saving_GlutSaving_Glut Forumite
    212 Posts
    ✭✭
    Count me in on this quest please, thank you.
    IO BTL1 Mortgage was £97,693.54 on 09/08/18; £83,140 on 31/12/19.:D
    Sealed Pot Challenge 12: #078: £150.36
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • ShrewbieShrewbie Forumite
    319 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I love it!!
    Me apunto :T
    Gracias apple muncher
    Emergency fund €1K/€2K
    House Deposit €5K/€10K