We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Capquest Asking For Money On Closed Account-Help!

13»

Comments

  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi PP - I'm sorry but I have to go to work in a few minutes, but I will look at your case - just one quick question:

    Did the original 'debt' relate to a loan account or a current account?

    There are slightly different rules for current accounts than for loan accounts.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • stapeley
    stapeley Posts: 2,315 Forumite
    They only have my mobile number , never give these agencies your home number !
  • rog2 wrote: »
    Hi PP - I'm sorry but I have to go to work in a few minutes, but I will look at your case - just one quick question:

    Did the original 'debt' relate to a loan account or a current account?

    There are slightly different rules for current accounts than for loan accounts.

    It was a current account.

    Thanks so much

    PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It was a current account.

    Thanks so much

    PP
    xx

    Okay - I need to check - normally current accounts are not the subject of a 'consumer credit agreement', although many posters have, successfully, used this avenue on current account 'debts'.

    The 'debt' is, already, in dispute and whilst it is in dispute CRAPQUEST should not be pursuing you for payment.

    Do you have any letters, from Nat West, accepting your original offer of a 'Full and Final Settlement'? I can understand it if you haven't kept them, but you need to ask Nat West for copies of all correspondence.
    Do NOT be fobbed off by them telling you that they no longer have the letters as the account is now closed. They MUST keep all letters for at least six years.
    You MAY need to submit a S.A.R. (Subject Access Request) to Nat West, in order to obtain this 'proof', if they are being difficult - ask them first.
    Do NOT worry about CRAPQUEST - once we have found the best way forward, we will suggest a letter that you can send to them.
    One thing at a time.

    Good Luck.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • rog2 wrote: »
    Okay - I need to check - normally current accounts are not the subject of a 'consumer credit agreement', although many posters have, successfully, used this avenue on current account 'debts'.

    The 'debt' is, already, in dispute and whilst it is in dispute CRAPQUEST should not be pursuing you for payment.

    Do you have any letters, from Nat West, accepting your original offer of a 'Full and Final Settlement'? I can understand it if you haven't kept them, but you need to ask Nat West for copies of all correspondence.
    Do NOT be fobbed off by them telling you that they no longer have the letters as the account is now closed. They MUST keep all letters for at least six years.
    You MAY need to submit a S.A.R. (Subject Access Request) to Nat West, in order to obtain this 'proof', if they are being difficult - ask them first.
    Do NOT worry about CRAPQUEST - once we have found the best way forward, we will suggest a letter that you can send to them.
    One thing at a time.

    Good Luck.

    Yes, I have a letter from Natwest accepting offer and proof of payment (I think)...but the new ref number is a 16digit number and no account number or sortcode has been given which is on the proof of offer etc. Maybe its the debit card number:confused:

    I have sent these letters to them but they have not acknowledged them.

    Sorry about this.

    PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Any idea Rog2?

    Can I still send the default notice letter after the 12+2+30 days and if so, do you count weekends? The letter arrived there on the 20th November asking for a CCA.

    Thanks

    PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi PP - it looks pretty 'cut and dried' to me - CRAPQUEST are chasing you for a debt that simply does not exist, and are, therefore, acting in direct contravention of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines:

    http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

    Providing that the acceptance letter, from NatWest, contains the words 'full and fnal settlement' then this 'debt' has been satisfied.

    I would send a letter to CRAPQUEST along the following lines:

    'Ref:...............

    "I acknowledge no debt to your Company or any organisation that you claim to represent."

    The 'alleged debt' to which you refer, has been fully satisfied, by 'Full and Final Settlement Payment' as agreed and accepted by the original creditor - Nat West - on --/--/0? (you can enclose a copy of your letter and proof of payment, if you wish).

    If you have any query, regarding the above, you should direct ALL enquiries to the Original Creditor.

    By pursuing me for an 'alleged debt' which has been paid, to the original creditor's satisfaction, you are acting in breach of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines, to which you are supposed to adhere.

    Any further attempts, by you, to pursue this no longer existing debt, will be reported, as harrassment, to the Office of Fair Trading and other Statutory Bodies, including possibly the Police.

    Furthermore I require that you remove ALL of my personal data, including telephone numbers, that may be held by your Company, from your data base.

    I require written confirmation, from you, within the next 14 days, that you have complied with my requests, regarding my personal data, and that you will, no longer, be attempting to pursue this non-existant debt.

    Yours Sincerely

    Mrs Penny_Pincher'

    I hope that helps - keep us posted of any reply.

    Good luck.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.