We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Capquest Asking For Money On Closed Account-Help!
Penny-Pincher!!
Posts: 8,325 Forumite
Hi
I have just been (last 8 months) paid out over 1k on an old account. I had already done a F&F with them 2 years ago but I think had that refunded too.
All sorted....I thought!
This morning I have had a letter from Capquest stating that I owe £564.51 on I assume this account (there were 2 accounts but both refunded and paid up). They have stated that this matter will not go away and if I dont reply by the 14th November it will be passed to solicitors. The debt they are referring to is over 6yrs, but have had correspondance with them in the meantime but I thought was all sorted out as I had received payment etc...and I had paid and they accepted a F&F offer.
What should I do? I tried calling them but they wanted personal info which I was not willing to give and she said they could not speak on the phone then. I stated the above and she said she couldnt comment and I also stated I am disabled and this is stress I do not need ATM.
I need to send them a letter but have no idea what to state. Should I put in copies of the letters regarding the money paid back to me and the F&F???
I am so unwell ATM and really dont need this.
Any advice appreciated.
PP
xx
I have just been (last 8 months) paid out over 1k on an old account. I had already done a F&F with them 2 years ago but I think had that refunded too.
All sorted....I thought!
This morning I have had a letter from Capquest stating that I owe £564.51 on I assume this account (there were 2 accounts but both refunded and paid up). They have stated that this matter will not go away and if I dont reply by the 14th November it will be passed to solicitors. The debt they are referring to is over 6yrs, but have had correspondance with them in the meantime but I thought was all sorted out as I had received payment etc...and I had paid and they accepted a F&F offer.
What should I do? I tried calling them but they wanted personal info which I was not willing to give and she said they could not speak on the phone then. I stated the above and she said she couldnt comment and I also stated I am disabled and this is stress I do not need ATM.
I need to send them a letter but have no idea what to state. Should I put in copies of the letters regarding the money paid back to me and the F&F???
I am so unwell ATM and really dont need this.
Any advice appreciated.
PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
0
Comments
-
bumping as fell off the page
pp
xxTo repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,requires brains!FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS0 -
Penny-Pincher!! wrote: »I have just been (last 8 months) paid out over 1k on an old account. I had already done a F&F with them 2 years ago but I think had that refunded too. Sorry, don't understand this - how do you mean *had that refunded*?
All sorted....I thought!
This morning I have had a letter from Capquest stating that I owe £564.51 on I assume this account (there were 2 accounts but both refunded and paid up again, what does this mean?). They have stated that this matter will not go away and if I dont reply by the 14th November it will be passed to solicitors. The debt they are referring to is over 6yrs, but have had correspondance with them in the meantime but I thought was all sorted out as I had received payment etc...and I had paid and they accepted a F&F offer.
What should I do? I tried calling them but they wanted personal info which I was not willing to give and she said they could not speak on the phone then. I stated the above and she said she couldnt comment and I also stated I am disabled and this is stress I do not need ATM.
I need to send them a letter but have no idea what to state. Should I put in copies of the letters regarding the money paid back to me and the F&F???
I am so unwell ATM and really dont need this.
Any advice appreciated.
PP
xx
Sorry to hear this PP.
Full and fianl offers have dubious legal status, in the view of several debt management agencies, so need to be treated with caution.
Why were you not willing to give personal information? This is to ensure that you're the account holder. Without verification of your identity, the company would be possibly giving information to anyone.
How much do you owe, and do you have a SOA?:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:0 -
Penelope_Penguin wrote: »Sorry to hear this PP.
Full and fianl offers have dubious legal status, in the view of several debt management agencies, so need to be treated with caution.
Why were you not willing to give personal information? This is to ensure that you're the account holder. Without verification of your identity, the company would be possibly giving information to anyone.
How much do you owe, and do you have a SOA?
Hi PP
Before I knew you could claim back unfair bank charges this account had been in arrears with excessive charges etc. There was over £800 outstanding and I offered £200 as a full and final payment. They agreed to this (and wipe the other £600+)as long as I could prove disbaility and pay within 28 days (I have letters from them to prove this!) I paid the £200 as required and have the time and date it was paid. I then received a further letter from them stating the debt had been paid in full (I still have this letter also). Looking through my paperwork, the £200 (F&F)wasnt refunded, so the debt is paid in full and I have letters to back this up.
Last year when we realised we could get our fees back, we applied and was awarded the full amount of just over £1000 in charges. The account was from 2006/2001.
I was not prepared to give personal details over the phone as I didnt know who they were and anyone could have sent a random letter stating I owed money. If I would have supplied personal details (DOB, Phone No, Mobile No etc)..they could have used this info to personalise the debt even if it wasnt mine. I know how many DCA'a work!:D
They are claiming I owe £500+.
I dont have a SOA as I dont have any debt. All I have is a small amount on a LOB credit card which will be paid by January 2008.
PP
xxTo repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,requires brains!FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS0 -
In that case, I'd write to Capquest, giving them all the information you've mentioned here, and state that you owe nothing. I'd also copy this to the original creditor.
Ask Capquest to stop hassling you, as this is an offence.
HTH.:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:0 -
My reading of it though is that the £600 that was written off has, in effect, been paid twice as you reclaimed charges on the full amount of your account.0
-
Edinburghlass wrote: »My reading of it though is that the £600 that was written off has, in effect, been paid twice as you reclaimed charges on the full amount of your account.
You may be right. In that case, you might want to go to CAB and get someone to look at your papers. They may be able to give better advice based on a fuller picture than you can give here.:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:0 -
send them photocopies of all your correspondance proving that you paid it off.Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
Que sera, sera.
0 -
Edinburghlass wrote: »My reading of it though is that the £600 that was written off has, in effect, been paid twice as you reclaimed charges on the full amount of your account.
Thanks Edinburghlass...hadnt thought of that. So, I may owe it after all...shame:o
My OH before reading this reply has already photocopied appropriate proof and sent a polite letter by RD stating the facts. I will sit and wait for the reply.
PP
xxTo repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,requires brains!FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS0 -
I have received another 2 letters since starting this thread asking for proof that I have paid which I have sent, but today they have asked for a copy of my passport or driving liscence. Is this standard practice?
They still havent sent me any other details on the account and I am confused as its a 16digit number which I would assume is a card number, but I have never had a credit card with them
.....is there a letter template I can send them requesting info on the account as they are not listening to what I am requesting!!
The debt is 5 years old.
Thanks
PP
xxTo repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,requires brains!FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS0 -
A passport i used to obtain unhindered passage to travel overseas, also more importantly these days to get back inPenny-Pincher!! wrote: »I have received another 2 letters since starting this thread asking for proof that I have paid which I have sent, but today they have asked for a copy of my passport or driving liscence. Is this standard practice?
They still havent sent me any other details on the account and I am confused as its a 16digit number which I would assume is a card number, but I have never had a credit card with them
.....is there a letter template I can send them requesting info on the account as they are not listening to what I am requesting!!
The debt is 5 years old.
Thanks
PP
xx
A driving licence is a permit to drive, both documents must be produced when requested by an authorised person or issuing authority. Capquest do not fall into either catergory. They may also be produced to banks and other financial institutions to verify your identity when opening accounts or obtaining loans in order to satisfy money laudering regulations, again doesnt apply to capquest.
There is a template letter around this board somewhere, i'll have a look in a mo, that you should send recorded delivery. It fulfills a number of things
1. You must state that you do not acknowledge the debt
2. Enclose a £1 postal order which is the statutory fee for the following
3. Requesting a true copy of the original CCA
4. Request a staement of account thereon
5. Request a true copy of the deed of assignment[strike]Debt @ LBM 04/07 £14,804[/strike]01/08 [strike]£10,472[/strike]now debt free:j
Target: Stay debt free0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards