Credit file

Hi all my first post, be gentle. A few years ago I was struck down with a rare disease that has limited my mobility greatly and prognosis is poor so I was too ill to work and am permanently disabled with full time care. I took a good look at my debts and contacted step change for advice, I took on an iva for a year but none of the money i was paying had reached creditors after a year so with step change advice i once again got in touch with creditors and cancelled the iva, the creditors I had all got a financial statement and medical records with a prognosis of my disease and they accepted that i will never be fit to work again and one by one the creditors agreed to write off the debts and close the accounts, a year down the line the accounts are showing as closed apart from one company who bought the debt from bank of scotland, they wrote to me and said they were writing off the debt and closing the account a year ago but if i look on my credit file it has shown as a default every month since they wrote to me to close the account and write off the debt, i am confused as to how they can mark an account that they consider closed and debt written off yet still mark as default each month?? if the account is closed then surely its closed?. I rang and asked them and they agreed the account was closed and debt written off but told me they would mark a default on my credit file every month until 2022, can they do that if they have written to me twice tellling me the account is closed and written off???

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I would ask one of the board guides to move this to the Credit File board for the best responses.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    carp1000 wrote: »
    can they do that if they have written to me twice tellling me the account is closed and written off???

The account is closed and written off.
    However, it defaulted - and will be reflected that way for 6 years on your credit file.

That's how it works im afraid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport