new replaced with refurbishment

Options
I have a 3 month old Microsoft surface go that has developed a problem, when I got in touch with currys they said return to them and they will send it to Microsoft or I can do it online.
I did it online and found that I will get a refurbished one back
do I have to accept it or can I get a new one, I feel cheated getting a refurbed one
thanks for any help

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pixiecat wrote: »
    I have a 3 month old Microsoft surface go that has developed a problem, when I got in touch with currys they said return to them and they will send it to Microsoft or I can do it online.
    I did it online and found that I will get a refurbished one back
    do I have to accept it or can I get a new one, I feel cheated getting a refurbed one
    thanks for any help

If you give them back a new one theyll give you a new one, if you give them back and old one, theyll give you back an old one. What youre asking for is betterment and as such there isnt an obligation to do that.
  • abssorb
    abssorb Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a continually contentious point. Although the law says you are not entitled to new-for-old, there is a difference between old and refurbished.

For instance if there is any sign of damage repair when you sell or trade in your car, significant cash reductions are made to its value because refurbishment can never be as good as factory. Cars aren't a direct parallel, but it shows that invasive repairs affect the maximum quality of goods.

Back to PCs - new units are made in a factory under almost sterile conditions with a lot of robotic manufacture. If a refurb has had its case opened, this will be done by curry refurb dept which is nowhere near as quality controlled as a factory.

Personally I'd be happy to accept an open box return or even a used replacement, but look carefully at the replacement and if there are signs that the case has been opened, I would try and reject it on those grounds.

In all honesty, you'll be unlikely to succeed with Currys.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    abssorb wrote: »
    This is a continually contentious point. Although the law says you are not entitled to new-for-old, there is a difference between old and refurbished.

For instance if there is any sign of damage repair when you sell or trade in your car, significant cash reductions are made to its value because refurbishment can never be as good as factory. Cars aren't a direct parallel, but it shows that invasive repairs affect the maximum quality of goods.

Back to PCs - new units are made in a factory under almost sterile conditions with a lot of robotic manufacture. If a refurb has had its case opened, this will be done by curry refurb dept which is nowhere near as quality controlled as a factory.

Personally I'd be happy to accept an open box return or even a used replacement, but look carefully at the replacement and if there are signs that the case has been opened, I would try and reject it on those grounds.

In all honesty, you'll be unlikely to succeed with Currys.

Its going back to Microsoft not Currys
  • pixiecat
    Options
    Currys will send it to Microsoft for repair
    My main problem is the usb is faulty and only 3 months old but I could get a refurbished one that was originally 10 months old
    I would prefer mine fixed but they don't do that
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are they allowed to replace your used machine with a refurbished one? Yes. After all, your machine is now 3 months old.

Are they allowed to provide a refurbished machine that is older than your faulty machine? No, the refurbished machine must be no older than your current machine.

That's your rights with Currys. Your rights with Microsoft depend entirely on what the warranty terms say.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pixiecat wrote: »
    Currys will send it to Microsoft for repair
    My main problem is the usb is faulty and only 3 months old but I could get a refurbished one that was originally 10 months old
    I would prefer mine fixed but they don't do that

They have to offer you a repair, refund or replacement. Theyve chosen the replacement. They get to choose unless they keep messing it up.

Your original terms and conditions apply which ultimately gives you the exact same protection as if it was new.

You wont get a 10 month old one, as they where only release in August this year. As mentioned the oldest one you will get will be as old as yours give or take a few weeks.
  • pixiecat
    Options
    Thank you for that reply that's just what I needed to know
  • abssorb
    abssorb Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Its going back to Microsoft not Currys
    Thank you. It's a similar outcome though. Also Microsoft sub contract some refurbishment to third parties, so it's not really a brand issue. But even at MS themselves, the refurb dept is not the same level of quality control as the factory in China.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    abssorb wrote: »
    the refurb dept is not the same level of quality control as the factory in China.

That's interesting - how long have you worked at Microsoft for ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure