Structural wall removal

Options
I've been quoted £2200 to remove a 3m structural wall (nearly 60cm thick) and installation of 3 steel Joists Inc padstones and plasterboarding. Is this a fair price? Seems about right but I guess it's just wishful thinking hoping it was less.

Comments

• chunkytfg
    Options
    Were you just given a number all in or was it broken down into its specific parts i.e. labour costs, parts costs etc?

Have you already had the plans drawn up with an engineers help or is the builder doing it for you?
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • king132
    king132 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    60cm? You sure? That’s nearly double thickness of a normal wall! Which might explain the 3 RSJ's.

Is 3m the width of the opening? if so that’s 3 steels beams at least 3.3m long, bolted together, hoisted up and fitted on pad stones and then knock through with remedial work.

You could phone around a steel fabricator and see if you can buy the beams yourself and have the builder on a labour basis.

Beams might cost you £400
    Pad stones £12 each

Does sound like a job that might involve a lot of bodies and equipment.
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    king132 wrote: »
    60cm? You sure? That’s nearly double thickness of a normal wall! Which might explain the 3 RSJ's.

Is 3m the width of the opening? if so that’s 3 steels beams at least 3.3m long, bolted together, hoisted up and fitted on pad stones and then knock through with remedial work.

You could phone around a steel fabricator and see if you can buy the beams yourself and have the builder on a labour basis.

Beams might cost you £400
    Pad stones £12 each

Does sound like a job that might involve a lot of bodies and equipment.

i'd bet that should be 60mm and not 60cm.

If the OP returns maybe they will clarify
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    i'd bet that should be 60mm and not 60cm.

If the OP returns maybe they will clarify

60mm wide (6cm) would not need 3 beams! But it does sound like a mighty wide wall.

I think the price sounds OK. I had a two-skin load-bearing wall removed around 4m long. Cost around this price +-20% as it was part of a larger piece of work so hard to pinpoint exactly.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport