Unfair treatment of cat

Options
2»

Comments

• casseus
    casseus Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    Cats are in the eyes of law are property, and this is going to the OP's Golden ticket.
    But before I get into that:

This may be of insight to you Animal welfare act 2006 part 3 Sub.s3

Responsibility for animals

(1)

In this Act, references to a person responsible for an animal are to a person responsible for an animal whether on a permanent or temporary basis.

(2)

In this Act, references to being responsible for an animal include being in charge of it.

(3)

For the purposes of this Act, a person who owns an animal shall always be regarded as being a person who is responsible for it.

(4)

For the purposes of this Act, a person shall be treated as responsible for any animal for which a person under the age of 16 years of whom he has actual care and control is responsible.

The person responsible for the animal, (don't forget part 3 a person is the responsible for its care be it permanent or temporary commits an offence if:

Part9.

Duty of person responsible for animal to ensure welfare

(1)

A person commits an offence if he does not take such steps as are reasonable in all the circumstances to ensure that the needs of an animal for which he is responsible are met to the extent required by good practice.

(2)

For the purposes of this Act, an animal's needs shall be taken to include—

(a)

its need for a suitable environment,

(b)

its need for a suitable diet,

(c)

its need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns,

(d)

any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals, and

(e)

its need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

(3)

The circumstances to which it is relevant to have regard when applying subsection (1) include, in particular—

(a)

any lawful purpose for which the animal is kept, and

(b)

any lawful activity undertaken in relation to the animal.

(4)

Nothing in this section applies to the destruction of an animal in an appropriate and humane manner.

This means that Both the Owner and father now have the above obligations by law. By dad refusing to feed water house and provide shelter, he is breaching the animal welfare act and is complicit in its suffering just as much as the owner is.

My recommendation, get your OH to roll on camera go pick up the and take it to the rightful owner, tell you her/him you're a returning her/his cat, if at that point they tell you they no longer want little kitty or words to the affect of abandonment, little kitty is forever yours, take to a vet immediately, pay for care, and register kitty in your name.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just take it! It's not your dad's car nor his ex partners. If you want it and can provide it with a good home, to ahead.
    I'd your dad at your place much to notice if you did take it? He might just think the cat has disappeared or gone back to its owner.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So this poor cat has been neglected and suffering for over 18 months whilst nobody wants it,everybody wants it,etc etc.This cat doesn't care about feelings,it just wants food,somewhere out the cold to lay down comfortably and a bit of care and attention.So while everyone dithers about the right and wrongs of the situation it gets weaker and sicker.
    For goodness sake just DO something.If that poor cat dies,do you think it really matters that you at least haven't upset your Dad's feelings?
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a cat coming into my garden for about a week.

First I thought it was my Joey (black cat) but then realised it was not - the cat would run towards me then turn round and run away.

I was a a bit puzzled but started leaving food outside once I realised the cat was pretty much living in my garden.

After about a week, horrid rain, I went out and the kitty run up to me (had a food bowl in my hand) so I took a chance and grabbed it to bring it inside.

Got a friend with a scanner over, turned out the little girl was microchipped. In a strange way i managed to find out she was also neutered and 8 months old.

So I thought owner may be looking for her - contacted chip company, left my details (she was not reported missing). Chip company told me they will try to contact the owners and if they do not get back in touch, after 28 days they will change the chip details to me.

I managed to find what road (but not number) she was microchipped too - very close. Took a walk there few times - no posters. Searched all possible sites - not listed as missing. After a month chip company called me that nobody claimed her nobody got back to them despite phone calls/messages and letters.

I have absolutely no idea how long was this little girl living rough but her weight as 1.8kg which for an 8 month cat was way too much.

I actually had a plan if the owners did get in touch and did not have a believable story for this cat's condition - I would have told them I am happy they called because cat is very unwell and at the vets and how do they want to pay 2k vet bill, cash or card? No way anyone was getting this cat back but I wanted to do all in a legal way.

She is 3.5 kg now and very happy settled with my friend.

So - if you do not feel comfortable talking to the owner (owner not your dad), you can do exactly the same.

It is cold outside - do something NOW
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The fact the OP has not come back and updated us on the situation probably means the poor little cat is no longer alive.Whilst everyone dithered about what to do,it just quietly lay down and died.Animals don't have the luxury of waiting around for a decision.I know this,I wouldn't have cared what others thought,this cat needed help.But no one came.
    Getting ready,thank you for what you did for that kitten.I bet she has a lovely life now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure