MSE News: Ofgem proposes new tests for energy suppliers to get licences

Options
New energy suppliers may have to pass financial and customer service tests in order to obtain a licence, the energy regulator has said...
Read the full story:
'Ofgem proposes new tests for energy suppliers to get licences'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh MSE - you really need to do your research. This change is not down to MSE or ML: that said, I do not doubt that the added pressure helped. I think that Citizens Advice may have been there first: but we really shouldn’t let the facts get in the way of another MSE success!

https://wearecitizensadvice.org.uk/to-supply-or-not-supply-7e2b5ea5dc5f

Quote: GB Energy’s failure has highlighted Citizens Advice’s long standing concerns about the licensing process in the energy market. We think that there need to be more checks and balances put in place before companies start supplying this essential service to households. Unquote

Note the date: Feb 2017
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the customer service test: It would appear that the Big Six have already failed in customer service so does it mean that new energy suppliers will need to have better procedures than the Big Six? Comes across to me as dice which are heavily loaded.

What really needs to be done is to appraise unrealistic low prices. At this time suppliers either maintain their low prices and go bust or increase their prices, lose their customers and still go bust. There is a third option as with Outfox which enforces prepayment of energy a la Powershop.

Personally, I don't envy whoever's job it is to construct these tests and then to answer inquiries when the new procedures fail.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Ofgem's customer service test: how many packs of custard creams can the supplier bring to our offices and we can eat before we puke violently all over our office carpets that are paid for by the taxpayer?
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why pick on custard creams?
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Ofgem have to be seen to do something to warrant their existence and big bucks, even if it is only a whitewash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure