Cyprus ...

Options
2»

Comments

• DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well i wouldnt want to put you off..
    Please feel free to try & terrorise me if you so wish.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »
    Sounds great fun Pete! I love a good old storm I do. Holz are what you make them I think.

We went to Madeira for 2 weeks in December 2012. Did you have a go on the cable car & toboggan?

No. We were only there for 1 day, 1 November, which just happened to be a National Holiday. The Cable Car and toboggan were only taking pre-booked bookings I think. Was just happy to wander about Funchal, really easy on the eye.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    This time of year its very difficult to pack for. Weather can be very variable. They get snow in the mountains but its also possible you would have sunbathing weather on the beach.

My brother used to live there and would come back for Christmas with a suntan. My wife was there in November last year. Apparently the hotel had changed from AirCon to heating and it was so hot they had to sleep with the door and window open (then get bitten to death by the mozzies). I have a friend who still lives there and see various postings on facebook of her in a big coat one day and strappy top the next.
  • DUKE
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    No. We were only there for 1 day, 1 November, which just happened to be a National Holiday. The Cable Car and toboggan were only taking pre-booked bookings I think. Was just happy to wander about Funchal, really easy on the eye.

Very fond memories of that holiday, especially the really thrilling/scary bus ride from Calheta Beach Hotel to Funchal :eek:
    We enjoyed drinks out on the pavement too :beer:
  • DUKE
    Options
    MataNui wrote: »
    This time of year its very difficult to pack for. Weather can be very variable. They get snow in the mountains but its also possible you would have sunbathing weather on the beach.

My brother used to live there and would come back for Christmas with a suntan. My wife was there in November last year. Apparently the hotel had changed from AirCon to heating and it was so hot they had to sleep with the door and window open (then get bitten to death by the mozzies). I have a friend who still lives there and see various postings on facebook of her in a big coat one day and strappy top the next.

I know what you mean MataNui, I just can't decide what to pack. Do I take my winter coat though, or will a fleece be enough?

I've read a similar review on TA, about them changing from AC to heating.

Thanks.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 November 2018 at 9:22AM
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »
    I know what you mean MataNui, I just can't decide what to pack. Do I take my winter coat though, or will a fleece be enough?

I've read a similar review on TA, about them changing from AC to heating.

Thanks.

Duke.....Prepare for bad weather, and hope it'll be good. Simple as that, it can do anything at that time of year. Albeit the snow will be up in the Troodos Mountains.

Mozzies in November, not in 3 years of living in Cyprus. But I was living in a freezing 'box' without CH. The only mozzies I saw in November wore fur coats.

I said it earlier, Cyprus isn't a 'guaranteed' winter sun destination. You might be lucky during the day, but it's guaranteed to be cold after about 1500. And it rains too, cold rain.

If I were you I'd have a look on a good weather website, such as Wunderground, and do a search for the daily weather history for the last 3 Decembers. That'll give you a good idea, but even then weather is weather and unpredictable.

If you plan on going up the Troodos, then don't be fooled by the weather down in Paphos. It'll be freezing up there, covered in the white stuff, and if you're unlucky you could get blocked in by deep snow.

That's why you need to be prepared for anything.

Guaranteed winter sun....you need to go further south to the Canaries, or east to the Far Flung.
  • DUKE
    Options
    Thanks Pete, better take the Stormwear jacket then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure