Declaring convictions for vehicle insurance

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2018 at 11:31AM
    Options
    I thought you said on the other thread he wasn't going to be driving for another 5 years, and you're already trying to find a way around it?

I think points drop off a year earlier for totting up than they do for insurance, so his Nov 2014 don't count towards his 12 point totting up ban total, but will need to be declared to insurance companies until Nov 2019.
  • barnaclebill
    barnaclebill Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 November 2018 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Aviva ask for the last four years not five as the price comparison sites
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    I had a very harsh lesson in what to declare many years ago, I now dredge up all my past back to 1985 (motoring, criminal,financial,medical,personal) I dont care if it isnt asked for or if its boring, once they have had the facts they can never backtrack on cover.

I dont give insurers an inch
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I think points drop off a year earlier for totting up than they do for insurance, so his Nov 2014 don't count towards his 12 point totting up ban total, but will need to be declared to insurance companies until Nov 2019.
    Three years for totting
    Four years visible on your licence
    Five years declarable to insurers.

The one exception is that drink-drive is visible on your licence for 11 years, because a second conviction in 10 years is a minimum three year ban.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    whats the betting in a few months the op will start a thread saying "I took points for my partner and now we could be going to prison".

OP you seem to be wandering into a long road of idiocy. If you carry on at this rate a prison term for you and your partner beckons.
  • owen_money
    Options
    Just a question, if the points/knowledgement of them are removed after 4 years can they even check, if so where? Ok if it was serious accident/death maybe, least of your worries, but for a small prang?
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    owen_money wrote: »
    Just a question, if the points/knowledgement of them are removed after 4 years can they even check, if so where?
    Last year, you got a quote saying you'd had 3pt SP30 3.5yrs ago.
    The year before, you got a quote saying you'd had 3pt SP30 2.5yrs ago.
    Now, nothing in the last five...

Ok if it was serious accident/death maybe, least of your worries, but for a small prang?
    Best case - they knock off the premium difference from the payout.
    Worst case - they pay the third party, then hand you the bill, along with a policy cancellation.
  • owen_money
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Last year, you got a quote saying you'd had 3pt SP30 3.5yrs ago.
    The year before, you got a quote saying you'd had 3pt SP30 2.5yrs ago.
    Now, nothing in the last five...

Best case - they knock off the premium difference from the payout.
    Worst case - they pay the third party, then hand you the bill, along with a policy cancellation.

It doesnt answer the question as such, I mean, if you never told them you had points, and never made a claim, how would they know if the points had dropped off after 4 years, how can they check?

TBH I've done it years back, but now have a company car. Last few years you have to give the company permission to check your licence, probably more for a ban than a few points
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    In this day and age of comparison sites, are you 100% certain that you didn't ask for a quote from any brand within that corporate...? Not even once in the last four years?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,349 Forumite
    Options
    "Spent convictions" is a reference to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. It specifies that you do not have to disclose certain types of offenses once a specified time has elapsed. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/216089/rehabilitation-offenders.pdf

It has nothing at all to do with whether or not there are currently points on your license.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure