🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

car service

Options
Silly little trivial question.....do you clean your car before it goes into the main dealer for a service. I normally do.....a bit like cleaning your house before the cleaner comes because you dont wnat them to think you are unclean etc....

been so busy lately that i just have not had time and its beyond dirty but no time before service tomorrow (where i will doubtless be ripped off with something...first mot as well with them....)

do others take thier cars for a sevice when they are dirty...i dont mean absolutely filthy but its at a stage where i would take it to be cleaned......thanks.....

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not to a main dealer now. Generally any main dealers i've used they've at least washed it before return. Sometimes a mini valet.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I last cleaned my car two years ago! Better things to do.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I clean the wipers otherwise they just replace them.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    MOT yes, service no.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Not to a main dealer now. Generally any main dealers i've used they've at least washed it before return. Sometimes a mini valet.
    That's one thing I make sure the dealer doesn't do. Generally they're about one step above those guys that clean cars in supermarket car parks, I wouldn't let them anywhere near mine.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know where the OP is coming from. I like to think that a vehicle might be treated with a bit more care if it looks cared for when it goes in (Google 'Broken Window Theory'). It might be naïve, but if the car is going in for repair, service, MoT, whatever, if I can send it in clean and tidy I will. A quick wash and empty the interior, rather than the full Autoglym treatment.

I don't lose any sleep if I can't do this, of course.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had my car serviced by a Kia main dealer and it was properly valeted before I picked it up. I wasn't expecting that and was well impressed.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    No. But I don't use the main dealer either. Why would I wash the car for a mechanic to look at it?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only for MOT time once a year.
    If its outside factory warranty, take it some where else or do it yourself you know the works been done then.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    That's one thing I make sure the dealer doesn't do. Generally they're about one step above those guys that clean cars in supermarket car parks, I wouldn't let them anywhere near mine.
    But they washed the motor you see when you decided that was good enough to buy.

One of the few times mine gets washed is when the dealer does it. I'll do better with the next one. Probably. Maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport