13»

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    beany_bot wrote: »
    Can't understand why people are so adamant on sticking up for cc company than the consumer here? Very odd.
    It is odd. Seems they've been installed especially for that purpose. (probably offered certain perks for their efforts)
    I neither know nor care if I'm included in these accusations against anonymous 'people' but would observe that trying to characterise reasoned debate as "if you're not with me you must be against me" is a ridiculously simplistic black-and-white view! And taking that to the extreme of asserting that anyone failing to criticise financial institutions must be employed by them is frankly risible....
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2018 at 3:35PM
    Options
    rooting for the underdog - something we use to be renowned for.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    rooting for the underdog - something we use to be renowned for.
    Each to their own I suppose, but if I was looking for a forum where other posters would simply reinforce my prejudices and put metaphorical arms around my shoulders in a "go you, sock it to The Man" sort of way, then I'd head for Mumsnet or the like.

Whereas I happen to think that posting factual and hopefully useful information about how things really are, rather than 'taking sides' or just moaning about how unfair everything is, etc, is a more constructive approach.

I'm not referring to anything or anyone in this thread in saying that by the way, just commenting on different styles of posting in a more general sense....
  • OceanSound
    edited 18 November 2018 at 6:39PM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Each to their own I suppose, but if I was looking for a forum where other posters would simply reinforce my prejudices and put metaphorical arms around my shoulders in a "go you, sock it to The Man" sort of way, then I'd head for Mumsnet or the like.

Whereas I happen to think that posting factual and hopefully useful information about how things really are, rather than 'taking sides' or just moaning about how unfair everything is, etc, is a more constructive approach.

I'm not referring to anything or anyone in this thread in saying that by the way, just commenting on different styles of posting in a more general sense....
    I've come across threads on here that have been useful. There are others that are not so useful, because of the prejudices of the posters. They often tend to attack new posters for their lack of knowledge (forgetting they would have been in the same shoes when they first opened a bank account etc.).

Perhaps those posters should leave their prejudices aside and start recommending Martin's new book on how to manage your finances. I believe it's gonna be part of the school curricular.

BTW, you are telling us you cannot speak for anyone else, but your reply is tinged with 'I'm speaking for most of us on this forum' .

Perhaps if posters put links to sources of the so called factual particulars, One would be less likely (I'm not referring to you in particular) to perceive that we are 'moaning about fairness'.

If you can suggest another forum that offers the same breadth and depth of info on finance, I'd be sure to visit them. I don't believe mumsnet is one of them.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    BTW, you are telling us you cannot speak for anyone else, but your reply is tinged with 'I'm speaking for most of us on this forum' .
    Can't see that implication in anything I've said to be honest, but for the avoidance of doubt I'm speaking for myself not for anyone else. Having said that, I do see many posters sharing plenty of useful information, albeit plenty of others who just want a good rant....
    Perhaps if posters put links to sources of the so called factual particulars, One would be less likely (I'm not referring to you in particular) to perceive that we are 'moaning about fairness'.
    I do prefer to use verifiable factual sources where possible, perhaps you'd care to back up your accusation that posters you perceive as not rooting for the underdog have been planted by financial institutions and are rewarded for sticking up for them?
    If you can suggest another forum that offers the same breadth and depth of info on finance, I'd be sure to visit them. I don't believe mumsnet is one of them.
    That was kind of my point, i.e. if you want information then this is a great forum for that, but if you're looking for sympathy then there are others more geared to that style.
  • OceanSound
    edited 19 November 2018 at 6:51AM
    Options
    ...I do see many posters sharing plenty of useful information, albeit plenty of others who just want a good rant....
    Have a look at this:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5925529&utm_source=MSE_FS&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=13-Nov-18#2
    It's neither useful nor a rant.
    ... if you want information then this is a great forum for that, but if you're looking for sympathy then there are others more geared to that style.
    simple manners and politeness doesn't cost anything. Rudeness does..
    You don't have to hold a door open for anyone coming behind you. You don't have to let in traffic from side street joining a main road. Yet we do it all the time.

Doing so means you are decent. You are civilized.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Have a look at this:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5925529&utm_source=MSE_FS&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=13-Nov-18#2
    It's neither useful nor a rant.

simple manners and politeness doesn't cost anything. Rudeness does..
    You don't have to hold a door open for anyone coming behind you. You don't have to let in traffic from side street joining a main road. Yet we do it all the time.

Doing so means you are decent. You are civilized.
    You're taking this even further off-topic now - I was highlighting a couple of posting styles but made no claim that there are only two and don't feel in any way obliged to defend (or criticise) comments made by others elsewhere.

I note that you've made no attempt to address my question regarding substantiating your allegation about posters being both planted and rewarded by financial institutions....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure