Diesel - Petrol Differential

Options
Does anyone know why there is currently such a large (10p or more) difference between the price of a Litre of Diesel and a litre of petrol at the same forecourt? We all know that oil prices have been at a 4-year high and that there has been a slight drop in prices recently which finally fed through to the forecourts about 7-10 days ago, but that appears to have only benefited petrol prices and not diesel... any obvious reasons for this?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Diesel is used for heating in winter, mainly in large business premises. We have a much more limited refining capacity for diesel than petrol. Its a bit of a double kick in the nuts as road diesel goes onto a winter mix to prevent freezing which results in a slightly lower MPG.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know why there is currently such a large (10p or more) difference between the price of a Litre of Diesel and a litre of petrol at the same forecourt? We all know that oil prices have been at a 4-year high and that there has been a slight drop in prices recently which finally fed through to the forecourts about 7-10 days ago, but that appears to have only benefited petrol prices and not diesel... any obvious reasons for this?

Yeah, they know the poor saps will still buy it no matter what the price is.

In the scheme of things its not worth complaining about or driving 20 miles out your way to fill up to save a few pence on the litre.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Yeah, they know the poor saps will still buy it no matter what the price is.

In fairness if their cars are diesels they wont have much choice...
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »

"oh no diesel have gone up love" "well put petrol in then":D
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They put the price up up up and never reduce it when the costs go down because they know we still need it "whatever the cost".

It's not like we can say oh well I'll fill up with 17p lemonade this week until they drop diesel to below a pound again.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Its a bit of a double kick in the nuts as road diesel goes onto a winter mix to prevent freezing which results in a slightly lower MPG.

yup, and it's already started this year despite it being mild, mine's dropped to 59mpg :(
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »

Exactly - I doubt folk will rush out and sell their 50mpg diesel car and buy a 35mpg petrol one just because its 10p a litre cheaper....just join the MSE and make a thread to complain about it.

Job jobbed !
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Exactly - I doubt folk will rush out and sell their 50mpg diesel car and buy a 35mpg petrol one just because its 10p a litre cheaper....

Quite...£30 spent on petrol @ 38mpg will get me approx. 100 miles LESS than £30 on diesel @ 61mpg (or 59 it's just dropped to ;) )
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    one of my requirements is that my car do no more than 30 mpg.

#smilespergallon
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    one of my requirements is that my car do no more than 30 mpg.

#smilespergallon

Last petrol motor was like that and only an 1800, had to drive like a vicar to see 36mpg in the summer as well.

Always a drop on last 2 diesels around 20% from October to March each year, currently struggling to get 43mpg was 51+ in summer with 170hp per tonne.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure