🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

About to be fired for gross misconduct...need advise

Options

Comments

• ds383
    ds383 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine recently had issues with drinking (I appreciate its a lifelong thing but it all came to a head recently)

Her parents took away her ID so she could not purchase alcohol (in theory) and also spoke to the local shops asking them not to serve her (this is of course voluntary)

Is this something your parents would be willing to do to help you in the short term?

That's a really good idea. I should give them control of my debit card, that way I'd have no way of buying alcohol at all.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First of all I never gave any false hope - I asked questions and thought I was clear we may be able to help, dependant on the ops answers. Unfortunate because he drank in the work place we can't do anything. Yet if it had just been a couple of pints/glasses he drank at the pub on his unpaid lunch break (which is his own private time, not his employers time) and said drink reacted with his medication, then we have been able to help save his job under protected characteristics, given they know he drinks and know that he takes medication for mental health issues which course him to drink. - there's no reason to believe that to be true. it's also his own time at breakfast... Second scenario I just pointed out to you all is not the same as drinking on work premises or going to work intoxicated (where medication for a known protected characteristic had no part to play). As you all know, the act of drinking on work premises is an act gross misconduct, which I did state as much earlier. - Being drunk at work is also gross misconduct.

As for rest of my posts, they were a generalised debate on law and protected characteristics with a troll and not meant as specific advice to the OP. I'm actually surprised, how some off you have responded, not exactly a warm welcome, which doesn't set a good example for this forum, does it! - I don't think anyone promised a warm welcome Though am well aware that some people do, over time spent advising on forums like this, end up, unwittingly, unable to see pass what is simply written here to be able to see the bigger picture or spot things that may seem minor or irrelevant yet, in fact, from a legal point can change the whole course of play - you have provided zero relevant legal advice. - such as how his mental health is a protected characteristic - no-one can know that. generally mental illness is NOT a protected characteristic , and how if he'd been drinking off work premises during his lunch I.e. 1 or 2 pints/glasses and it reacted to his medication his intoxication would a result of his medication and therefore his protected characteristics. - no. Even if it is a protected characteristic (which I doubt), the fact that his medication reacts with alcohol and he took alcohol makes it a self inflicted condition. Hence why I asked the questions I asked in the first place! Questions no one before my post thought relevant to ask! - because they weren't You might not like my approach/method, but it works, it gives me a fuller picture of precisely what the circumstances were. - actually have no issue with you asking questions, it's the incorrect answers I have an issue with Something I see people, all too often, not even bothering to do. Instead they give advice based solely of 1 original post that only gives a basic description of things and never the full picture, and then people loose jobs based on that advice of there being no hope, when asking a few simple questions to get a more complete picture can throw up something vital that would give grounds to totally opposite advice that leads to saving a persons job. - whilst that can sometimes happen; not in this case But then I guess complacency is a major issue in all advice giving forums.

Now i joined this forum to help people, not make enemies. There's clearly enough people here that are good at that, along with being unwelcoming. So this is the only post I shall be making in response to others slating my advice, falsely accusing me of giving false hope or accusing me if being a know it all - so it's stick your fingers in your ear and shout 'la la la' as loud as you can?, which I don't pretain too be, and how anyone can come to that conclusion from just a few posts I made here is beyond me. Though great job on the welcoming committee, am sure the site owners are immensely proud of you all. - and im sure that all of us will shortly be reported. That doesn't make your answers correct

OP. The problem you have us whether they know you were drinking in the work place or not, is they likely have you on CCTV and probably will check it. - that's presumptuous And like I said if it hadn't been on work premises then that would have changed things. - no it wouldn't You can off course be honest with them and ask for help. And if you not already so, make appointment with your doctor, and inform them of that and that you hope to get treatment, but losing your job will only have a negative impact on your mental health and make it worse. Tell them you know they gave you a chance before, but you didn't know it would react with your medication like it did. - what 5 shots of vodka?... They may take that into account and may decide to give you a chance by letting you get help and take time off sick for it. As you never know, they might actually be supportive.

I just don't see the benefit of this advice to the OP
  • ds383
    Options
    So every !!!! head should claim ESA...sorry but thats shocking advice.

Take control of life and sort it out...too many flaming soft touches that think anyone and everyone should be given a cuddle and a "not your fault your a !!!! head or smack head".

Makes me bloody sick i and plenty of others work to support cretins who dont deserve help.

Lol. I;ve paid enough tax to be entitled to something back I think?.

'cretins'..wow, .I used to work for the police, and mi5....
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ds383 wrote: »

Mate, no offence; but used to work for a career force doesn't help your case.
  • Genuineguy03
    Options
    @ozzuk - thank you. The case you referenced confirms what I've been saying. That being if there's a protected characteristics that are the underlying cause its is unfair to dismiss a person for turning up to work intoxicated via gross misconduct. They'd have to go down capability route. But in this case the op already turned up to work intoxicated twice, and the key point being that he drank on premises is what goes against him/her here.
  • ds383
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Mate, no offence; but used to work for a career force doesn't help your case.

That person called me a p***head. Yes, I am a drunk but I'm trying to get help. I don't get why someone would try and kick someone when they're down.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DS383

Sorry you have got to this stage so young, alcoholism is a terrible disease/illness which will destroy your life and finally you, if you don't get to grips with it.

The only cure is abstaining, and you need help to do that

Look up Alcohol services in your area and get in touch with them and try to get a detox asap. This is usually done as an OP, you get your meds daily and a support meeting, the rest is down to you - AA

My own GP was pretty crap as well back when I was so ill but the alcohol services were fantastic, however they can only help if you are committed. Whilst you stay engaged with them the help is there, don't show up for an appointment, then no one comes knocking chasing you up. You really do need to want the help

My employer was fantastic, I was off sick for 6 months, monthly OH appointments, a staggered return to work etc and complete understanding of what I was going through. However once again, the support was there whilst I was getting the help I needed. If I had dropped out of the programme Im sure work would have dispensed with me as well
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Haha I always had it in the back of my mind that you were a troll but could never say for sure.

Cheers for the laughs!:beer:
    Know what you don't
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

Youre in your 20's, have worked at this place 3.5 years, so you cannot have had long careers at either of those jobs, so it doesnt make any difference to your current situation...
  • ds383
    Options
    Youre in your 20's, have worked at this place 3.5 years, so you cannot have had long careers at either of those jobs, so it doesnt make any difference to your current situation...

No, I got fired from both.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family