2»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    For goodness sake.

People are allowed to go onto their semi-deatched neighbour's property for maintenance.

It's called the Access to Neighbouring Land Act. Google it.

Whether there's a clause in the deeds or not, if push comes to shove,the neighbour can use this law.

Therefore, it's probably best to be accommodating, given the previous encounters. Who knows, you might even find the neighbour responds positively. :)
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    For goodness sake.

People are allowed to go onto their semi-deatched neighbour's property for maintenance. There will almost certainly be a clause in your deeds and it won't allow for charging it at any price per day. The people on here don't just get to tell you what to say to your neighbour or get annoyed on your behalf.

Just because one neighbour is an idiot, it doesn't mean the other has to behave like one.

Be nice. It feels good.

I thought that was the case.

When we needed to put some scaffolding up I did go round to the neighbour with the builder. She was very sniffy about it, warned him not to damage anything and not to leave it up longer than necessary. I thought we were entitled to do it but wanted to be polite. Three months later I arrived home one day to find her scaffolding on my garden. She is rather temperamental and when we moved in, years ago, she was horrified due to my husband's colour and didn't speak to us for about ten years. She is a lonely old widow now and if she catches hold of me I can't get away.
  • paddy's_mum
    Options
    What's more important than any bits of paper or chuff words is to be sure that the scaffold company carries the proper insurance to cover them if anything awful happens to cause damage to you, your possessions or your land.

(Think - falling bricks on car, dropped pole spearing your valuable pedigree brood cat, blown down boarding sailing through your new patio doors...)
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A cautionary tale...............quite a few years ago we had a similar issue, our neighbour was building a two story extension, we had 3 nice panels between our houses and our shed on the boundary line, we gave permission, thought well we would want the same treatment, got on well with them and the had been neighbours for over 10 years.

Two years later the fence they poked the scaffolding through was all but demolished, and propped up against the corner of our extention and the other corner of the shed, cutting off 9 sq feet of our garden. We went on holiday, came back to find the fence had been removed and laid flat on the lawn, despite us owning a large dog and they had 3 small children who used our 9 sq feet to play in, then having put that back up, we came home from the next holiday to find it removed and burnt. They replaced it with a half fence half breeze block monstrosity

Moral, how ever friendly you are they will do whats best for them, not you regardless of agreements written or verbal
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure